williteverend's story

williteverend

Reaction score
Hello eveyone! I have been reading this message board for about a year but never decided to tell my story until now. I enjoy reading everyone's questions and answers. I am an 18 year old that has always had a nice head of hair. I have golden blonde hair that is naturally very curly. My father is bald and so is my mothers father. I am genetically predisposed to male pattern baldness. I first began noticing my hairloss 2 months after my 17th birthday. There was a lot of fallout, i began to become alarmed and shaved my head that summer. No one has ever commented that i have thin or thinning hair but i was so convinced i was losing my hair. After i shaved my head i began to grow it long. it grew nicely although i was experiencing a lot of fallout. I became extremely depressed until i had it cut and dyed by a professional hair stylist. I was so incredibly happy it looked so good and my worries vanished for a few weeks. Then more hair began to fallout and fallout and fallout. . i continued to grow it out. i would have my hair cut and dyed every 2 months or so. I was still going thorugh anxiety and i was losing a lot of hair. I went to my doctor and he prescribed my finasteride. This was in march of 2004. i began tgel in may of 2004. i began nizoral in july of 2004. From march until september i have experienced 3 major sheds. I cut my hair short again in august. I was extremely happy with the new look for a few weeks. It's now september and I have been shedding like a wolf for 3 days. there has been no evident regrowth anywhere from finasteride. I am a diffuse thinner with mostly frontal loss. I have the same hairline i had when i was 11. I am getting really scared that i am not responding to the finasteride because i am shedding at month 7. All the hair that falls out is short and doesnt match the length of the rest of my "healthy" hair. My main question is, should i begin minoxidil? if so, what percent? I am afraid if a mega shed that i will not be able to recover from. i will stay on finasteride but it seems my hair has gotten worse since i began finasteride and that it has had a adverse effect on my hair. I am seriously concerned. minoxidil seems to be the next step. would you agree?
thank you

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
If you start on minoxidil than be sure to use Nizoral shampoo simultaniously for the skin flakes.

I kind of have the same problem as you - frontal loss, and finasteride isn't that effective for that kind of loss.

Therefore I switched to Dutasteride instead after about 18 months of finasteride.
I am on my 2nd day, so its too late to tell if there's any difference. But maybe thats your next step?

It blocks close to 100 percent of DHT compared to 60-70 on finasteride.

williteverend

Reaction score
where can you get dutasteride? did you switch to dutasteride because finasteride was ineffective for your loss? or did you think you could get better results with a different product. i really want to regrow my front and i am desperate for a product that actually works. how much does dutasteride cost per month?

Petchsky

Reaction score
If i were you Will i would wait the full 12 months on finasteride before making the move to dutasteride. The shed on dutasteride is meant to be pretty intense :freaked2:

Don't make any knee jerk decisions.

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Dear Wili.

I get my dutasteride from this place located in Switzerland (but ships from Italy, which is good if you are a citizen in an EU-based country, as the package will go straight to your door). Mail the pharmacy at chiasso@merlonipharma.ch

I found him through some other guys on this site. Actually for me it's cheaper than being on finasteride!!! Dutas costs me 140 Euros for three months supply.

My plan is to get on Kirkland minoxidil 5% (generic version) and continue using Nizoral 2% shampoo (which can also be purchased through the above mentioned pharmacy).

Send me a private message if you want to know more, I'll be glad to help.