Will Switching to New Generic Propecia Cause Shedding?

Ryan87500

Reaction score
Now that generic is available in the US I decided to go Generic. Should inexperience any shedding or since it is still the same dose I won't have any side effects.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
how much cheaper is it?

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks! My 3 months supply costs me $240 now..So minus $100 is very good!

blondguy

Reaction score
Its exactly the same drug, so it won't really matter. But hair loss is not a "side effect" of taking propecia, its what SHOULD happen if the drug is working. (heck even if the drug isnt working thats what should happen, you know... hair loss and all....)

wrb93

Reaction score
I personally just switched to the newly generic propecia after taking name brand for 6 and a half months and I noticed shedding almost immediately. I've been on it for a little more than 2 weeks and it is definitely not in my head as I was not shedding even in the slightest before. I even had amazing regrowth in the past 2 months to the point where I had stopped worrying about my hairless. Now my hair looks thinner overall, especially in the back. Now I realize it is possible that I just entered a shedding phase that happened to start right when I switched because technically it is the exact same dose I had been on, 1mg finasteride. But for my own sanity I'm biting the bullet and getting back on name brand tomorrow. It worked really well and that's all that matters to me. Good luck

A

andrew lincoln

I don't see why the generic would be any different?

soxfaninfl

Reaction score
I was paying 78 dollars a month from walmart, and I'm now paying 62 dollars a month for the generic brand by Dr. Reddy. I did switch back to name brand.

- - - Updated - - -

I personally just switched to the newly generic propecia after taking name brand for 6 and a half months and I noticed shedding almost immediately. I've been on it for a little more than 2 weeks and it is definitely not in my head as I was not shedding even in the slightest before. I even had amazing regrowth in the past 2 months to the point where I had stopped worrying about my hairless. Now my hair looks thinner overall, especially in the back. Now I realize it is possible that I just entered a shedding phase that happened to start right when I switched because technically it is the exact same dose I had been on, 1mg finasteride. But for my own sanity I'm biting the bullet and getting back on name brand tomorrow. It worked really well and that's all that matters to me. Good luck

I was on the name brand for 11 months and switched to generic 1mg for a month and noticed some shedding. I just switched back to name brand a week ago. I'm hoping all I'm experiencing is a shed. I can't imaging that finasteride would stop working after just a year on it.

System44

Reaction score
If it is the same drug with the same dose then why are people experiencing shedding and erection differences after switching? After a month of trying generic, I'm going back to the name brand for $10 more a month.

ydahman

Reaction score
status on hair loss after switching brands

Hi I am new here and was going through this thread. Any update on hair status for all who are on this thread. Has the shedding stopped and hair continued to grow while using Finasteride or Propecia?

Thanks.