will minoxidil make my transplanted hair shed if I start now?(hair transplant was 5 months ago)

jimmywingster

Reaction score
Hi.

i had a hair transplant 4-5 months ago. it grows well and feels fine. I have never used minoxidil but if i start now, will the transplanted hair shed also? if yes, to what extent? i understand everything wont shed but will a little of it shed?

thx

arfy

Established Member
Reaction score
Non-transplanted hair might shed. Some people say that a shed is a sign you're a responder... your hair has been kicked into a cycle, or something like that. I don't know, but it seems logical, as Minoxidil isn't known to cause permanent hair loss. However, if you have very fine, wispy "at risk" non-transplanted hair in that zone too, I suppose those original hairs could be lost... similar to the way that "at risk" hair can be lost to surgical "shock loss" and not regrow. The transplanted hair should be fine (and can respond to Minoxidil as well, sometimes) and if transplanted hair is shed, it's pretty certain it will return. At least, that's the conventional thinking.