Why you should buy Propecia brand for the first 12 months...

paximperia

Established Member
Reaction score
I think that Finpecia is real genuine Finasteride. However...

I must have spent two months paranoid about whether I was taking fakes. I would browse these forums at work, look up everything I could about Cipla, pace back and forth wondering if I made a huge mistake purchasing generics. I switched from Propecia to Finpecia at about 4 months, and right afterward started a light shed. This certainly didn't help my dilemma. I probably spend countless hours looking at my hair from 50 different angles, trying to figure out if I was taking real Finasteride. In the end, it wasn't worth it. $840 for one year will save you all of this paranoid stuff we see on the forums.

IMO buy a year's supply of Propecia FROM A REAL DOCTOR. Once you know what results to expect, and the worst of the sheds are over, then switch to generics (for the rest of your life if you want). If you lose a ton of hair, they're probably fakes. However, if you (more likely) don't lose any hair over the next year, you know that they're real. And better yet, you know what real Propecia results do look like, so you have a basis of comparison.

Just my two cents...

On a side note: If everyone orders generics in the US while the brand-name is still covered under patents (like Propecia is until 2013), it means that the pharmaceutical companies don't make as much money. What that means is that instead of researching hair-loss medications, they're going to research other more profitable medications. In other words, it's stealing all that research away from Merck. They're not going to put as much effort into researching new and better ways to treat male pattern baldness, for what it's worth.

Paul December

Established Member
Reaction score
...or save nearly a $1,000 and just BELIEVE everyone here that generic from a legit source is the same thing! Thats the whole point of the forum...at least it was for me :bravo:

bathtbgin

Reaction score
paximperia said:
On a side note: If everyone orders generics in the US while the brand-name is still covered under patents (like Propecia is until 2013), it means that the pharmaceutical companies don't make as much money. What that means is that instead of researching hair-loss medications, they're going to research other more profitable medications. In other words, it's stealing all that research away from Merck. They're not going to put as much effort into researching new and better ways to treat male pattern baldness, for what it's worth.

Yes because pharmaceutical companies are just hurting for money, and the market for drugs that treat baldness is so small.

paximperia

Established Member
Reaction score
They pull in a lot of money, but they also spend a lot of money on research. Regardless of how many other people buy the brand-name product, they are still losing some money if you illegally purchase the generics. The more profitable a particular market, the more money that goes into researching that product. It may already be a very big market, but it would have been that much bigger had you purchased the brand-name. That still equates to less money on researching hair loss products.

Pondle

Reaction score
I looked up Merck's Propecia sales figures a while back, and it isn't one of their best performing drugs - sales are less than $300m a year. That's nowhere near a blockbuster, which will notch up multi-billion dollar sales. This is a shame for us, the hair loss sufferers, because better sales would presumably have encouraged more pharmaceutical companies to enter the market (step forward GSK).

Londo

Established Member
Reaction score
I started with Propecia and am now using quarted Proscar to make sure I'm getting the real thing. If I didn't get results then I'd know Finasteride didn't work for me and I wouldn't be wondering if I'd gotten fakes or not. Maybe I'll try Fincar or Finpecia later, quartered Proscar isn't very expensive though.

I got my prescription through my doctor. Blood testing wouldn't be a bad idea to make sure you aren't overworking your liver.

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
im sure 300m a year is a good amount even for Merck! and yes, finpecia or fincar from a good source like United is just as good!

Pondle

Reaction score
MPBWarrior said:
im sure 300m a year is a good amount even for Merck! and yes, finpecia or fincar from a good source like United is just as good!

It's way short of being a blockbuster, which is the goal for most pharmaceutical companies (v****, another 'lifestyle drug') is a blockbuster. If Propecia had been a blockbuster, then I'm sure GSK would have released Avodart for hair loss and maybe other companies would have brought new treatments to market as well.

jeffm81

Reaction score
Pondle said:
It's way short of being a blockbuster, which is the goal for most pharmaceutical companies (v****, another 'lifestyle drug') is a blockbuster.

So no one buys generic v****?

Maybe someone should research just what percentage of people who use finasteride buy the real thing.

Pondle

Reaction score
jeffm81 said:
Pondle said:
It's way short of being a blockbuster, which is the goal for most pharmaceutical companies (v****, another 'lifestyle drug') is a blockbuster.

So no one buys generic v****?

Maybe someone should research just what percentage of people who use finasteride buy the real thing.

Loads of people buy dodgy v**** online or competitor drugs, but Pfizer still manages to make $1bn-plus per year in annual sales of the drug.