Why use Isopropyl alcohol if it dries out hair?

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why is it recommended to spray isopropyl alcohol through the lace base when detaching a lace hair system if the alcohol dries out the hair?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not instantaneously. It is not recommended to use leave-in products with alcohol, but to dissolve the adhesives, absolutely. You are going to wash the unit anyway. The alcohol gets rinsed out, and you then condition it.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Use it because the altnerative is much worse.

Using an oily solvent like C22 works reasonably well but it requires excessive washing of product afterward.

In balance, high-proof [?] iso works better - 90%+ for adhesive removal

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not instantaneously. It is not recommended to use leave-in products with alcohol, but to dissolve the adhesives, absolutely. You are going to wash the unit anyway. The alcohol gets rinsed out, and you then condition it.
It doesn't immediately dry? In my view, it strips away almost all oil & residue?

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ah okay fair enough. What if I wanted to remove the unit without washing / shampooing and conditioning it. Would that be a bad idea if I’ve used isopropyl alcohol to remove the lace?

I ask because I was thinking of experimenting of shampooing less often (every 2-3 weeks) but I do a reattachment every week

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Using 91% plus.... The likelihood that it's still wet with alcohol (and not just water)before finishing your task is unlikely. Once it evaporates the stripping has occurred. I agree you can add a conditioner to combat it, but you're not likely rinsing out alcohol....to avoid the drying effect....

Last edited:

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ah okay fair enough. What if I wanted to remove the unit without washing / shampooing and conditioning it. Would that be a bad idea if I’ve used isopropyl alcohol to remove the lace?

I ask because I was thinking of experimenting of shampooing less often (every 2-3 weeks) but I do a reattachment every week
You should at least rinse the system after you remove it. A light shampoo and conditioner after each removal is normal. Where are you getting your information from, it doesn't sound very logical to me.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I understand the question was regarding Isopropyl, for cleaning....However, It reminded me how most people claim alcohol in haircare products should be avoided...as @BaldBearded stated, in his response...

Making a broad statement such as:
"Products with alcohol, are bad for hair"
is uber ignorant.

Long chain (fatty alcohols) such as cetyl... ...one of the most commonly used in hair and skin care products... are not drying...quite the opposite. They are emollients which prevent drying and facilitate adding moisture through an occlusive process, as oil and wax ( Argan or Jojoba oil etc..) does. It seals in moisture...which is paramount, since system hair has no cutical to retain moisture.... as nature intended. This is why instructions direct you to "apply to damp hair".... The dampness is the moisture... the product seals it in...
No different than skincare lotion....It's not adding moisture... It's preventing loss of existing moisture, by creating a barrier....which is why they are best applied, after showering.....to damp skin.

Last edited:

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score

That's a bit crazy. Would you wear a shirt without washing for 2-3 weeks? Not clean your floor, for that long?

As I always say, focus on the desired outcome of having the best looking system. Not on how far you can push things

Last edited:

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
hmm fair enough, thanks for the response guys. I currently shampoo and condition my unit once a week when i do my reattachment so I guess i'll just continue doing that.

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Long chain (fatty alcohols) such as cetyl... ...one of the most commonly used in hair and skin care products...

fatty alcohols are used so commonly because they're cheap 'filler' ingredients, generally I'll avoid products that contain them (because they tend to be low quality, not because they're drying).

fwiw, i never shampoo, i only use conditioners and reconstructors, i don't really understand why anyone would shampoo a toupee but there must be a reason.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
fatty alcohols are used so commonly because they're cheap 'filler' ingredients, generally I'll avoid products that contain them (because they tend to be low quality, not because they're drying).

fwiw, i never shampoo, i only use conditioners and reconstructors, i don't really understand why anyone would shampoo a toupee but there must be a reason.
Their purpose is to seal in moisture. There are much cheaper "fillers" available that wouldn't achieve the same effect.

Last edited: