Why Shedding with Dutasteride? The answer is here!

balu123

Reaction score
Dutasteride Shedding

Shedding during the initial period of treatment with dutasteride is a normal response to beginning hair loss treatment, however it is one of the most frequent questions we are asked. Dutasteride is supposed to stop hair loss, so why does this shedding occur? To understand why this happens, it is important to have a brief knowledge of the hair growth cycle.

The hair growth cycle consists of three phases:

1. An initial period of growth lasting from two to eight years called Anagen. Hair growth cells divide and produce the hair shaft. This shaft grows up and out of the follicle and into the pore, while simiulataneously growing downward into the deeper levels of skin where it is noursished.
2. A short (two to four weeks) transitional phase called Catagen where the hair follicle is degraded. The hair will stop gorwing during Catagen, but will not fall out. The hair follicle shrinks and the lower part of the shaft is destroyed. The hair becomes seprated from the blood supply and is no longer receiving nourishment.
3. Then follows a resting phase know as the Telogen phase. There hair now longer grows but remains attached to the hair follicle. Approximately 10-15 percent of all hairs are in this phase at an one time.

After the Telogen phase the cycle is complete and the hair goes back into the Anagen phase. New hair shafts form and older hair is pushed out and lost.

When taking Dutasteride the hair follicle is stimulated to start producing new hair. What often happens is that many hair follicles that are in the Telogen phase then go into the growth phase, and first needs to get rid of the old hairs, which are still attached to the hair follicle. Because many follicles react at the same time, a lot of hair will fall out - this is the shedding that you may experience.

Shedding should be seen as a positive sign - a sign that you are responding well to treatment with dutasteride. Generally people who will respond the best to treatment often lose the most hair in the beginning. Unfortunately some of these people panic and give up on dutasteride early in the treatment.

Shedding usually begins approximately six weeks after beginning treatment. The shedding should not last any longer than six to eight weeks. If shedding is still evident after two months, it is advisable to see a medical professional, as this hair loss may not be regular shedding as described above.

The initial period of shedding is usually the most intense, however shedding may reoccur periodically throughout treatment. This is also a normal and expected effect of treatment. Because dutasteride triggers a growth cycle, the hair growth cycle becomes more synchronised. As a result, the hairs also enter the Telogen phase almost simultaneously. Over time this shedding will decrease throughout duration of treatment with dutasteride.

So remember, shedding is normal reaction to treatment and usually is a sign that the treatment is working. If the shedding lasts longer than two months, or if there are other noticable side effects such as red skin and/or irritable skin, you should see you doctor.

http://www.dutasteride.com/dutasteride-shedding.html

P.S.: It's interesting because I'm now in week 6 and SHEDDING started for REAL exaclty this week!

G

thanks for this post balu. the shedding has been scaring me but i am definitely sticking with it through the bad even though my hair loss looks a lot worse now than before i started.

it's just really disconcerting to see all those hairs in the sink and on my pillow that i never saw before starting dutasteride.

i noticed it most last week and that was the fifth week.

balu123

Reaction score
I was in panic as well.
But after reading this, I'd say everything seems to run very well for us.

G

yeah we will both be very good responders i imagine.

i am shedding from the areas that i was balding from before so they were probably just telogen hairs.

receedinghairline

Reaction score
on propecia

i've been shedding like crazy for over 9 months now on propeica. Been taking it since January. My temples have thinned out to almost nothing Its scary. I had a lot of hair when I began i had just noticed some receeding. Most of the hairs falling out are pretty thick. Only problem is even 9 months later the ends of them i would say the bottom 1/4 start to thin much thinner than the rest of the hair. Here is the million dollar question thought.

Are the bottoms thinner becuase

1. the hair is falling out to regrow new thicker hair
2. the hair falling out is just progressing to go bald and propecia is not working

anyone have gotten the hair to constantly shed daily for 9 months and their temples thin out real bad and then grow back? PLEASE someone say they have.

DaKine

Reaction score
I started Dutasteride back in May, which puts me at about the 5 month mark. I started shedding at 3 months and lost a LOT of density. I would say my hair looks significantly worse than it did when I started. This really sucks because all I needed was some maintenance, not regrowth.

I noticed some growth around the hairline that was new at about 4 months. However, it is really disconcerting that the hair that I've shed won't come back for 6 - 12 months (at best).

At this point, there's no reason to stop, because it isn't like I wouldn't be bald eventually.

Has anyone noticed that you don't see a lot of posts where someone says "Oh yeah, the hair from my big shed seems to all be back."

RP

Established Member
Reaction score
At this point, there's no reason to stop, because it isn't like I wouldn't be bald eventually.

You might be right, I really hope so. I just made a disturbing notice how much hair I have lost also from the sides and back of my head. And those are areas that are not supposed to be effected by male pattern baldness.

I took a good picture from the side. I`ll post it tomorrow when I get to a computer with a bluetooth connection.

I mean this stuff is frightening. I`m not sure if this is a normal reaction to finasterid. I propably should stop taking it.