Why is Histogen pretty much considered as dead here?

Reaction score
Didnt look into it in months and it seems that it went from the next big thing to another dissapointment.

The science behind it was solid and they posted encouraging results.

Could somebody explain to me what went wrong in such a short period of time?

thank you guys

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
It's not thought of as dead as such, we just realise it's many, many years away, may never get the funding to complete trials or be released, and if released will be an extremely expensive yearly treatment rather than an accessible one-off cure.

Reaction score
Yes we knew it'd be exensive and would require frequent injections. So why is such a promising product missing fundings with its great potential? What are the signs that show it's lacking financial support? Thank you for your reply.

ganonford

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think histogen is a dead end, but up to this point, I'm just sick already of getting excited for something which is just not here yet. There has always been something on the pipeline, there has always been something just "five years" ahead of us. I just can't take it anymore. **** it. I'll get excited when it get's released in to the market.

XXXXXXX

Banned
Reaction score
Based off of Histogen's results, is it really worth waiting around for ?

Not like we have anything better to do, but it looks like Rogaine can do better than this.

abcdefg

Reaction score
In my mind any new invasive procedure needs big results to make it worth what will certainly be a lot of time and money to get it. Most of these companies from the results I saw look pretty bad nothing that is making big changes like going back norwoods or anything and if its just a little barely cosmetically significant amount of hair why even bother?

jan_miezda

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not thought of as dead as such, we just realise it's many, many years away, may never get the funding to complete trials or be released, and if released will be an extremely expensive yearly treatment rather than an accessible one-off cure.
You were right

x4342

My Regimen
Reaction score
Histogen was dead 10 years ago. There were plenty of discussions on it on different forums and I explained it then.
The problem isn't funding, or "getting things done" but simple efficacy. The "positive data" were no more impressive than things like ACELL+PRP.
It's just growth factors. It's in the same league as PRP, ACELL+PRP, amniotic fluid, kerastem, exosomes etc.. They work, but poorly and a single injection session is going to be very, very weak. You'd need a ton of sessions to make a real difference. That's why they had to use joke photos where they completely changed the direction of hair, angles etc. It's simply no better than any other presently available treatment.

You need to understand what you are dealing with. They've been around since the 80s. Back then they were called "Advanced Tissue Sciences".
They went public in 1988 and were producing growth factors from fetal foreskin. They never made any money and eventually went bankrupt in 2003.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Advanced Tissue, which went public in 1988, used cells from the foreskins of circumcised newborns to make its skin products."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"On 31st March 2003 Advanced Tissue Sciences (ATS) was liquidated, with the effect that in excess of US$300 million of stakeholder financing was destroyed. Although successful in the development of breakthrough technologies in the regenerative medicine arena and the building of a substantial portfolio of patents, the company never made a profit."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Naughton simply rebooted them as "Histogen" and tried hyping up the growth factors as some sort of magical hair treatment. It's a classic case "overpromise and underdeliver."
Growth factors have been hyped up forever. Do they work? Sure, but not very well. Women have been smearing them into their skin for a long time. Does it help a bit? Sure. Does it make them 18 again? Not even close.

The real issue with Histogen is that it simply isn't effective. It doesn't matter if it came out tomorrow. People have this delusion that it's some sort of space age technology that is somehow stuck in red tape but oh so close. The poster HelloUser tried to push that argument 6 years ago. "We will just have to go to Mexico to get magic hair growth injections!"
You don't need to go to Mexico to get growth factors. They are already exist and they just aren't very good.

Last edited:

x4342

My Regimen
Reaction score
LOL, just realized I replied to Necro!
Oh well.
Things never change. The same problem in 2011, 2013, or 2021. It's not effective. People need to stop asking when things come out and ask if there is any clear evidence that it really, really works first. You could apply this to sm04554 today. Don't worry about "when is it coming out?" but rather ask "Do you have any clear evidence that it really, really works rather than just slightly works?"

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
The issue was that they went forward with the double-blind testing before they had any idea related to the raw jump in significance testing. It appeared to be a sure thing but some incel in the back had the comma in the wrong f*****g place... Goddess-damn confidence intervals weren't even in the ballpark! There went that $5,000 I took a flyer on but I hear that there is a new company cloning hair in Southern Sudan with very low labor costs but they have to get the space electrified first. It's all over the penny stock fora.....