Why I'm Here. Wondering Where To Go.

freak

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all.

I started noticing thinning at the front of my hairline somewhere around 2012. I believe it began to happen slowly, but I didn't really notice it. Until I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, and had considerable stress/depression/anxiety attacks. Shortly after I took citalopram for the disorder, which after a year I stopped.
It was around the time of dealing with the influx of mental health issues that the hair loss seemed to rapidly increase. Half way into 2013 I stopped wearing my hair flicked back, because the thinning at the front became too noticeable, but yet it still wasn't a big deal at the time.

I'm now much better in terms of anxiety, though it is something that is a constant part of my life.

I have had ED issues in the past, but mostly when I would watch too much p**rn, and these days I do not and thus tend not to have the issue.

I have had slight gynecomastia as long as I can remember. I have had my testosterone levels tested because of this around 2013, and was told they were normal levels. But I do not believe I was tested for oestrogen which I have since discovered if high can cause gyno despite normal testo levels.

I'm mentioning the above because of its relation to finasteride.

It's now 2016 and my hair has got to a point which it is thinning at the top of the head, and moving further back. Along that there has been the receding too. The receding doesn't bother me so much as the thinning on top, which can be noticable in harsh lights and makes me consistently paranoid.
I wear my hair down/forward, and try to carefully mess it across the forehead as to hide my shame.

The hair moving towards the front definitely does not grow at the same rate as it does further back, so the back end can quickly begin to outweigh the front and make it harder to manage/more noticeable.

I have known about finasteride for maybe a year, and have been too afraid to consider it. Mostly because of what I have read about the effects it can have in activating anxiety, depression, brain fog etc all things I have experienced at extreme levels in my life already and have worked so hard to overcome that the thought of willingly bringing them back is (literally) a tough pill to swallow.

I'm in my mid-to-late 20s. Ideally I'd just like to get hair transplant and fill in the thinning gaps around the front and top of my head and not have to consider finasteride. But the implications of cost, success, and the whole procedure I'm not sure how viable it will be and when.

I present to you some wet hair images of my head that were taken a couple months ago. The wet hair, harsh light, etc make it look considerably worse for full effect/view.

I welcome your opinion about what would be a good idea for me in my situation, with my history, age, etc.

EDIT: Oh and my only current regimen is I wash my hair probably once every few days, with Nioxin shampoo, Nizoral, then Nioxin conditioner. These defo get rid of dandruff/dry, and make the hair feel thicker after the wash but its not all that lasting.

Last edited:

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you have ED already then maybe finasteride is not a good idea, because one of the most common side effects is sexual issues.
But what about minoxidil?

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
At the very least get on minoxidil and keep using the nizoral a few times a week.

freak

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you have ED already then maybe finasteride is not a good idea, because one of the most common side effects is sexual issues.
But what about minoxidil?

I wouldn't say I have it now. I think that was a problem with too much p**rn way back when ^_^'

At the very least get on minoxidil and keep using the nizoral a few times a week.

Will get minoxidil. How far along would you say I am?

freak

My Regimen
Reaction score
How suitable am I for hair transplants? I don't think my receding is that heavy comparatively, but the general thinning is definitely there.

Cue Bald

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hard to tell with wet hair in those pictures. i think most surgeons would tell you to wait to see what norwood you might end up being