Why doesn't the root of my hairs have those white bulbs?

Strat54

Established Member
Reaction score
The Gardener wrote:
Its not a sign of anything, other than whether or not the hair was pulled out at the root, or if it was severed or cut. If it was pulled out at the root, and the hair has a very, very small bulb that is not big and white, then it would actually be a bad thing. Big bulbs indicate deeper follicles, which tend to produce thicker hair shafts.

My newly grown hair is a bit thinner and lighter than my normal hair.
So either it’s not yet fully developed, or it just grew weaker from minoxidil and Propecia.

I’ll wait some months and make a hair-pull-test to see if there’s a difference.

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thin said:
tchehov said:
I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble understanding this, perhaps my personal experience is clouding my judgement. I shed thousands of hairs with good (normal) white bulbs last year and expected that hair to be replaced. None was. Which is why I initially thought I was suffering from Telogen Effluvium.

Hopefully your hair isn't going in the same path as mines. I started with bulbs, but now, well I can't say there aren't any visible bulbs with Gardener's explanation, I have to say that the bulbs are barely visible. It looks like a super small piece of dandruff that was stuck to the hair now that I have looked at it carefully. Its not even 1/4 the size of what I remember seeing.

If your hair condition turns out to be similar to mines and I find a regimen that starts to work anytime soon I'll definitely keep you posted, tchehov.

Thanks, same here.

I'm not doing too badly and my shedding has stopped - not a hair in the shower or on the pillow, not even if I scratch my head hard. My hairline as quite a bit thicker than it was 4 months ago. About two inches behind the hairline it starts to thin diffusely all the way back to the crown. No slick bald spots, thank God.

I liked Gardener's use of the word 'event' - I definitely had a shedding event last year and those are the follicles I'm trying to encourage back to growth with minoxidil. I recently added Retin-A to my regimen and I think it's making a difference - I only need modest regrowth and I'll be satisfied.

My sides and back are thin like yours though they look OK if I grow it out a bit. There's a lot of argument here about the diffuse curse especially if it affects the wreath. I honestly don't know what to believe. I'm holding off on the internals to see what I can do topically and if I'm not satisfied at least I'll have those to fall back on.

My only explanation for diffuse hair loss is an extreme allergic reaction to myself, this planet and life in general. :D

The Gardener

Reaction score
Strat54 said:
My newly grown hair is a bit thinner and lighter than my normal hair.
So either it’s not yet fully developed, or it just grew weaker from minoxidil and Propecia.
Yeah, that sounds pretty normal, from my experience. My first regrown hairs appeared as a little sprout patch of pigmented vellous hair. A few of these then started to thicken up. Not all of the "sprout patch" on my temple ever developed into anything dramatic, but around the edges of my bald temples these new little hairlets started to achieve some length. The general evolution of the new hairs went from a darkened looking vellous hair, to kind of a curly pubic-like hair, and then as they got more thick they started to straighten out.

I've recovered a good 3/4 inch or so off the tops of my bald temples. It really looks good! It has kind of rounded them off a bit.

buzzmenot

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gardener, nearly all of my darkened vellus drop with a huge whitebulb... which is interesting, since it's unexpectedly contrasting with the shaft width.

Been looking forever for this vellus hair -> terminal hair evolution. u just made my day. :)

Thin

Established Member
Reaction score
buzzmenot said:
Thanks Gardener, nearly all of my darkened vellus drop with a huge whitebulb... which is interesting, since it's unexpectedly contrasting with the shaft width.

Been looking forever for this vellus hair -> terminal hair evolution. u just made my day. :)

I'm happy for you.

teenbalding

Reaction score
bump, sorry for reviving a 9 year old thread, just hoping you all are alive to be able to reply to me.
All of my hairs that are falling doesn't have white bulb. Most of the time it has no bulb or sometimes, a small black bulb. The hair that falls are small and thin, sometime they are long and thin but for the most part, small and thin. I can pull out my hair nearly every time (just grab my hair lightly and pull my hand out, no pressure on hair), and i absolutely feel nothing, it feels like the hair was already broke and it came out but i can do this a lot of time, and like I said, they have no bulb. I have a lot of dandruff, gp said that could be the cause, my scalp skin are sometime on the surface of my hair. I was only able to pull out hair with white bulb when i itched the surface of the scalp, and i could feel this grain thing (white bulb probably) and so the hair would come off, and I absolutely felt no pain. Just wondering what it is.

new to this forum thing, so just tell me anything i did that is not suitable and i would keep that in mind. thanks

g.i joey

Reaction score
Unless you're on propecia, those are you're minitiarized hairs dying off.. if you are a diffuse thinner you have tons of mini. Hairs in the same areas where you're thinning, imo that's what it sounds like.. good luck!

abcdefg

Reaction score
Unless you're on propecia, those are you're minitiarized hairs dying off.. if you are a diffuse thinner you have tons of mini. Hairs in the same areas where you're thinning, imo that's what it sounds like.. good luck!

Yup. Welcome to male pattern baldness.

shookwun

Reaction score
Long story short, if you're not on finasteride you will loose all hair if prone to male pattern baldness.

Eventually that is

27yroldMPB

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have just started dealing with male pattern baldness about a year ago, and the past few months it's really come on with noticing the hair falling out. My hair is beginning to thin with it, so I started 2-3 weeks ago using a shampoo called Pura D'or that is supposed to thicken and help prevent hair loss. In the past several days, it seems I lose hair much more shedding wise, especially scratching my head/brushing my hair (even with my hand). I also have noticed that the bulbs in my hair the past couple days look almost nonexistent when I check the ones that have fallen out. Any advice or stories about this shampoo? Could this be a natural reaction because the bottle says up to 3 months for results??

tooldude

Reaction score
I got scammed by purador and the like at one point. Don't buy into anything that isn't tested, researched and reviewed(not amazon reviews). Trust me, ive spent a lot on products in the past(damn you, saw palmetto!). The only two products ive had some success with are finasteride and min