Why does everyone hate oily scalp/hair?

hairschmair

Established Member
Reaction score
I've read a lot of threads now where people complain about oily hair and state that they need to wash their hair every day or it 'gets out of control'. Some even go to the point of saying that this oily stuff (sebum?) is what causes male pattern baldness (or at least makes it worse).

When I take a shower my hair my hair goes extremely dry and frizzy, and generally looks like sh*t. About 24-48 hours later it starts to feel oily. By this point, it looks a lot better, and fuller. I like it when my hair is oily!!!

Just wondering if there is any evidence behind the "oily hair causes hair loss" theory because I'd rather not wash my hair every day to keep it dry.

j25

Established Member
Reaction score
Yup, totally agree with you. My hair used to be oily and i hated it then. Since thinning has struck me, my hair has becoming really dry and impossible to style, especially after having used Nizoral. After a day and a half, my scalp and hair starts to feel oily. Right now i appreciate it. :roll:

2young

Reaction score
The problem is that excessively oily scalp can create an environment where infections (fungus, bacteria, etc) thrive. The irritation from these infections can make hair loss from male pattern baldness worse. Other than that, slightly oily hair really isn't a problem. I'm pretty sure just having oily hair doesn't have any connection with pattern hairloss.

hairschmair

Established Member
Reaction score
alright.. so there is no direct effect of oily hair on hairloss/male pattern baldness. That's good to know. I'll stick to my every other day shampooing then and enjoy at least half a day of nice greasy hair :lol: .