Why at-home Follica experiments might not be successful

michael barry

Reaction score
Both of the getfitinib pictures we have seen with the hair growth were with cancer patients. Chemotherapy suppresses (and sometimes almost completely) the immune system. Both of these people likely had chemotherapy, and I thought that one of them had it for sure. Does it make more sense now?

Why do I have a feeling that the two drugs necessary for hair regrowth are going to turn out to be an immunosuppressant and getfitinib. These two drugs aren't approved for hair growth, just like Zohar said.

Just putting a immunosuppressant in a cream wont necessarily do the trick. Topical cyclosporin isn't as effective for androgenic alopecia as internal cyclosporin is. Internal cyclosporin usually has hirsutism as a side effect. Topical cyclosporin was tried for baldness if memory serves, but was only about 20% effective. The immune system is a "body-wide" phenomenon, with T-cells and Killer cells and marker cells going through the blood and lymphatics looking for "foreign" bodies to attack. So just blocking formation of these cells and whatnot in the scalp alone isn't going to keep others from "making their rounds".

For Cal and TAGOHL,

Neither of the two people whom we have seen getfitinib-related hairgrowth were on finasteride or minoxidil. Thats almost a given. But chances are good they had compromised immmuno-capacity from chemotherapy.

This is probably why nobody has had much success with the wounding/natural egf inhibitors or wouding/lithium thusfar other than them using carriers and whatnot that might interefere with the process anyway.

I keep going back to Experiment number 7 and the ENSUING experiments done with human skin grafted to SCID mice. They got hair EVERY TIME according to them. No EGF-Inhibition was needed......................the only difference between these mice acting as "life support" for the human skin grafted to their backs and us is that we have an immune system.

As for why animals can be wounded and regrow hair pretty regularily and we cannot-----pretty simple: Our immune systems are much more evovled than theirs. We all have read Hideo Uno's comparison between Stumptailed Macaque balding and human balding. The lymphocytic infiltrate, the collagenous streamers, the inflammation, the T-cell infiltration. The immune system gets involved in human androgenic (as well as areata) alopecia, but none of that is apparent in ape-balding. Their hair just shrinks. Our whole scalp changes.

I bet this is the "missing link" that would lead to success. The problem is.............................I cant think of anywhere one could get a hold of internal cyclo w/o a prescript. I'd like to be wrong about all of this............but what Zohar said not appears to really make sense. Those two drugs are indeed not for hair, but minoxidil or finas are. The anti-microbial and anti-biotic and anti-inflammatory now make sense also.

chore boy

Established Member
Reaction score
It's been recently proposed that cyclosporin might grow hair through NFATc1 inhibition... don't know if you saw that or not.

I have some Restasis (cyclosprorin emulsion) being shipped to me and it should be arriving any day now. I plan on trying it with scalp peels and the Dermaroller.

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You might be able to get what you want from http://www.drugdelivery.ca - you'll have to convince their physician you have had transplant treatment etc, you've lost your script and are looking for a delivery service for your meds...

But if you're really considering internal Sandimmune to grow a few hairs, you are barking mad :punk:

Matt27

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of sample tubes of Tacrolimus, and an actual script from a doctor for an entire tube of the higher potency stuff, .1% I believe. Tacrolimus was another agent named in their patents. I tried using it but the gel includes some sort of irritant that made my skin itch too much. I could certainly use it for a few days or a week or so, but not for an extended period of time much longer than that.

bobs

Established Member
Reaction score
Barry, I think you made a most valid point. The home experimenting have been of mixed results but none have given enough for a photo-proof.