WHOOA Shedding / sides rollercoaster!

spartacus1

Reaction score
Going through a finasteride shed perhaps... also developing sides at the same time. Do sides+shedding mean that finasteride is working?

Here's my situation:

I am 24 years old, started treatment almost a year ago when I noticed some slight temple / crown thinning.

MONTHS 1-3: 0.675 mg finasteride daily. No sides. Maybe a reduction in number of hairs shed in shower. 20-25 down to 15. Hair appearance seemed stable.

MONTHS 3-6: Upped the dose slowly (over 2 weeks) to 1.25 mg daily. For 3 months also experienced no sides and no real noticeable change in hair appearance.

MONTHS 6-7: Libido / sex drive reduces noticeably, watery semen, find ing it difficult to masturbate. Also started to notice scalp is a bit itchier and hairs lost in shower increases to ~25 a day. Hair appearance seems stable though. No, recession... might be diffuse.

MONTH 8: Same as last few months but then had a week or two of normal to above normal libido. Sexual sides seemed resolved. Hair is still shedding, maybe worse, ~30-40 lost in shower daily. Hair feels less thick. Hair on the sides of head seem thin too. Itchy scalp and scalp pain.

But just this past two days libido has dropped again and finding it difficult to masturbate. Shedding still continuing. Itchiness and pain seem less though.

I am really confused about what is going on.

It seems like it could just be a normal finasteride shed. Its almost been 6 months on the full dose. Shedding has been happening for almost 3 months. Could also be just male pattern baldness.

Here are my questions:

1) Has anyone else experienced a finasteride shed accompanied by itching and scalp pain? Did you recover?

2) Does anybody else have crazy ups and downs with the sexual sides?

3) Do the onset of sexual sides mean that finasteride is indeed working?

*Some people get results with no sides. Some get no results and no sides... Some people get sides and results, then have to drop finasteride. But do people ever get sides but then no results???

4) Should I decrease my dose or wait it out to see if things resolve on their own?

5) Given the fact that shedding started 3 months after I increased my dose, perhaps this is a finasteride shed and not male pattern baldness progression. What do you think?

Thanks. Any help would be much appreciated!

I probably will stick with finasteride for at least a couple more months.. I've only been on the full dose for 5.5 months... was on half dose for 3 months.

spartacus1

Reaction score
PS: Have been using Nizoral 2% and T/Gel but they do not seem to reduce the itch by much. Itch is always worse the longer its been since I've showered.

spartacus1

Reaction score
Okay brief update, if anyone cares.

I decided that the sides were a bit concerning so I reduced my dose to 1/4 proscar 4x a week.

After what was only a week my libido and sexual function came back with a vengeance. Not sure what is really going on with the hair though. Itching is still there but scalp pain has definitely disappeared I think.

As for hair appearance... seems unchanged.

I will update regularly despite this discouraging lack of response.

- - - Updated - - -

I may try to slowly increase the dose again. I may also try starting minoxidil, however I am not looking forward to the infamous shed. Perhaps I will shave my head first before attempting the minoxidil route. Ah life.

I like to remain optimistic: Things could always be worse.

B

Beingbaldsucksass

Take in mind that minoxidil also has a starting shed, and use the foam, the liquid is really bad for some people's scalp

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
spartacus, your story is almost same as mine, i too gradually increased my dose. it will get better, ride it out- at about the ten month mark my hair was much thicker overall. my libido actually went low then very very high. back to normal now. much less semen overall. but Im shedding again since changing finasteride brand! just hope i haven't got a fake batch! hope that helps you