white buildup covering the hair root

dw99

Reaction score
i know this has been brought up and addressed many times, but i have yet to see a decent/plausible explanation for it. so anyway, i'm 22 and have been noticing hair loss for about 4 or 5 months now. i am diffusely thinning only on the front right part of my head but my hairline is still in tact (it has not moved back at all) despite it being thinner at the front right.

so like many of us on this board, i have become completely obsessed with my hair loss to the point that i very carefully examine each hair that falls out these days. the most striking thing that i've noticed is that ALL of the hairs that fall from my thinning area have a white buildup/sheath that covers the root of the hair. if i gently grasp the hair with two fingers and run them over the end of the hair the white stuff slides right off exposing the root of the hair. other hair that falls off from the other parts of my head have NONE of this buildup over the root.

other than the white buildup, all the hairs that i am losing in my thin spot look just like the hairs that fall out of my non-thinning spots (just as healthy, thick, and pigmented).

what could be an explanation for this? could these be sebum deposits that have "suffocated" the hair root? are they dead cells that have been killed by DHT? any feedback on this would be very much appreciated. thanks!

hairschmair

Established Member
Reaction score
The white bulb (if that is what you are referring to) at the end of the hair means that the hair fell out from the root. All this means is that it did not BREAK. Most of the hairs you shed, in both male pattern baldness areas and non-male pattern baldness areas should have that white stuff. Hairs don't break very easily, as far as I know.

dw99

Reaction score
yeah, i know that the white bulb at the end of the hair is the root, but that's not really what i'm getting at on this post. it's the white buildup that i have that COVERS the root that i'd like an explanation for. thanks for the response though.

someone has to have some explanation/guess as to why this happens.

BUMP! :lol:

dw99

Reaction score
yeah, it's a dry substance that just comes right off when you rub your fingers over it.... i know it must have some significance as it's only on hair that falls out of my thinning spots.

i can't help but think that if i could get rid of this substance that my hair might drastically improve. :?

dw99

Reaction score
hairshmair, the white subtance being discussed is NOT the root of the hair, which you will find is almost impossible to remove from the end of the hair.

the substance we are discussing actually covers the root and can be easily removed by sliding ones fingers over it. hope this clears things up.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i thought you had like a really good hair day a few weeks back? with a new style where they were calling you GQ and stuff? what happened?

yello911

Established Member
Reaction score
Yup, I get those. Sometimes they are yellow and very hard. I sometimes feel little bumps on my head and I pick at them. When it comes out, there is a clump on the end that comes off really easily exposing the white root. Sometimes I will have two hairs encapsuled in the same clump. I believe it's hardened sebum. If I brush my hair often and wash it daily, this problem is greatly reduced.