which way to tilt my workout bench

powersam

Reaction score
So I just moved into a new house, massive place, and I basically have the whole lower floor for my guy pursuits.

The area in which I'm going to put my gym, is under cover but outdoors, and the floor is on a slight tilt. Would it be more beneficial to put my bench so my head tilts down, or my head tilts up? I am mostly interested in gaining muscle on the shoulder/back.

s.a.f

Reaction score
It should'nt make much difference benching in the incline position works more of the upper chest whilst the decline works more of the lower pec.

CCS

Reaction score
If you tuck your elbows, you work your front deltoids and triceps. If you flare you elbows wide, you work your chest and tricepts. Go 45 degrees, you get a bit of both. I prefer to do 60 degrees. Inclined bench press should work your deltoids at least a bit regardless.

powersam

Reaction score
guess i'll put my head up high then, might give me a headache otherwise.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
That would be my choice. For one thing, if you're pressing and can't get that last rep out it's going to be easier to get the bar onto your stomach and sit up if you're at a slight incline.

What else are you stocking your gym with?

CCS

Reaction score
Good point. If you are doing decline bench press by yourself, you could choke your self to death. Flat and incline are much safer. I've put a bar on my belly many times when I could not get the bar back up. Not sure how safe it is for the real heavy lifters, but plenty safe for me to use my own body weight bar.

powersam

Reaction score
Slartibartfast said:
That would be my choice. For one thing, if you're pressing and can't get that last rep out it's going to be easier to get the bar onto your stomach and sit up if you're at a slight incline.

What else are you stocking your gym with?

a tv and some beer.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
What, no strippers?

CCS: I'm okay doing the 'bar onto stomach and sit up method' at 115 kg, but that feels pretty close to the limit of what my body can safely handle.

yello911

Established Member
Reaction score
Incline. You can work your lower pectorals with dips. Also, you try putting weights under the bench to increase the incline and switch up the angles now and then. Don't forget to flip over and work the opposing muscles. Your front deltoids are involved in every form of bench press so a variety of angles are important along with opposing moves to target the so often forgotten rear deltoids.