Which Blood Test To Take For Hair Health

theotherusero

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, could someone explain which blood tests do we have to do in order to check for values that may indicate hair loss and what we can do to fix the wrong values?

This is what I understood from what I read:

HORMONES
  • Testosterone
  • Estradiol
  • Free Testosterone *
  • DHT *
  • TSH (Thyroid)
  • T3 (Thyroid) *
  • T4 (Thyroid) *
  • Cortisol *
  • SHBG *
  • Progesterone *
  • Prolactin (high prolactin in man can cause gyno and erection problem)
VITAMINS
  • Vit B12
  • Vit D
MINERAL
  • Iron
  • Ferritin
LIVER
  • ALT
  • AST *

Which are the most important exams and which one can be optional?

For example, when I tried to book the blood exams for DHT through the usual channels in my country (I live in Italy, we have to call a number to book the date and the hospital for taking a blood sample) they told me I have to call another number because that is not a common exam.

Or maybe some values can be ignored if some others are fine, for example, if TSH is fine there is no need to check for T3 (is this right?).

How important are the ones with *?

I'm 35, these are my values from a blood test I have taken a few days ago:

S-Tireotropina (TSH) - reflex 1.850 mU/L 0.200 - 4.200
S-17 Beta Estradiolo (E2) 79.3 pmol/L man, prepuberty : < 80, adults: 100 - 190
S-Testosterone 12.30 nmoli/L 7.60 - 31.40
S/P-Alanina aminotransferasi (ALT) 26 U/L < 41

Testosterone is good or is too low?

And more importantly what about Estradiol? My values are very low and I assume this is bad. What do you recommend?

I have found some information on the forum about what blood tests to take, but almost anything about how to interpret the results.

Last edited:

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A blood test for sex hormones levels will tell you very little, you are better off just looking at your scalp, if you find miniaturised hairs in the Norwood pattern then you can be sure you have ΑGΑ.

Throwaway94

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
An actual DHT test is stupidly expensive as well. But yeah male pattern hair loss happens regardless of a perfect hormone and nutrition panel. You'll likely find nothing relevant wrong in your blood test.

Best thing it's for is to compare after you start something like finasteride, especially if you get sides you can see if your e or prolactin values have changed.

theotherusero

My Regimen
Reaction score
An actual DHT test is stupidly expensive as well. But yeah male pattern hair loss happens regardless of a perfect hormone and nutrition panel. You'll likely find nothing relevant wrong in your blood test.

Thanks! Yes that was my impression too. It's easy to tell check all of that stuff, but it's not very practical.

Best thing it's for is to compare after you start something like finasteride,

Yes, that is the reason for taking the blood test. I want to start RU58841, but before that I want to establish a baseline.

especially if you get sides you can see if your e or prolactin values have changed.

Thanks I'll add prolactin to the list (high prolactin in man can cause gyno and erection problem).

Could someone comment on my E2 values? Are they too low?

@pegasus2 @John Difool I would really appreciate your input on this topic!

Last edited:

Throwaway94

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks! Yes that was my impression too. It's easy to tell check all of that stuff, but it's not very practical.

Yes, that is the reason for taking the blood test. I want to start RU58841, but before that I want to establish a baseline.

Thanks I'll add prolactin to the list (high prolactin in man can cause gyno and erection problem).

Could someone comment on my E2 values? Are they too low?

@pegasus2 @John Difool I would really appreciate your input on this topic!

I mean your E2 is a little low but not catastrophically. There is still a huge variability and inaccuracy that comes from the way E2 is normally tested as well as some natural variation. Do you have any symptoms of low E? Otherwise I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about it.