Whey or creatine?

googler

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to take some kind of supplement that will help me gain some good definition. I'm the correct weight for my height but my stomach and chest are a bit flabby, whereas I'm getting some great results on my arms and legs I am ever so slowly getting results on my stomach and chest which is pissing me off.

I've heard a lot of talk about whey protein. What does it actually do and would it help my goal to tighten up my chest and stomach and pack on more muscle. On the other hand should I just use creatine, or combine the two?

Feel free to post links to the brand you think I should get because I'm pretty clueless. Much appreciated.

Happy Christmas

Britannia

Reaction score
Ive heard (from people who could quite easily kill me in one punch) that using Creatine and Whey Protein together is the way to go. Apparantly taking Creatine just before a work out and have Whey protein shakes a few times a day is the way forward.

jeffreyt21

Reaction score
Googler,

Both work together synergistically in helping build lean muscle mass. However, they both work on the body in different ways. Whey protein provides the building blocks for your muscles to grow and tone, while creatine increases the amount of ATP available to your muscles causing them to work longer and harder without tiring.

Creatine will do nothing for your muscles if protein is not taken in conjunction.

Here is a good link about whey protein and a link at the bottom at which you can buy Optimum Nutrition protein which is a great protein. Tastes very good.

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/prote ... mation.htm

googler

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, guys.

I bought some whey and creatine yesterday. A couple of questions. I'm 6'6 and weigh 95kg (210lbs). The creatine I bought is powdered, what is the best way of taking it, mixing with water? Should I just take a teaspoons worth daily (5g)? How long before I work out should I take it? Is it safe to be on propecia while taking creatine? Finally how much whey should I take and when is the best time for taking it?

Thanks alot guys

Britannia

Reaction score
You shouldnt mix it with water as it will be absorbed poorly. Use fruit juice - Ive heard grapefruit is best.

jeffreyt21

Reaction score
Googler,

Like Britannia said, fruit juice is the best way to take creatine. Actually, the best juice to take creatine with is grape juice due to its naturally high sugar content.

When taking the protein, do not take more than 40 grams at one time. The body can absorb only 40 grams of protein each hour, so when mixing a shake, mix no more than 40 grams.

In regards to when to take the protein, I like to take about a half hour before I workout and then directly after. I would suggest adding L-glutamine powder to your stack. I just bought some and I have seen some great additional gains from it.

googler

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it ok to mix it with orange juice or cranberry juice?

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it

jeffreyt21

Reaction score
Any juice is fine; but, if you want maximum benefit from the creatine, I would go to the store and buy some grape juice

googler

Established Member
Reaction score
duly noted.

and what should i mix the whey with? its chocolate flavoured and i tried it with water earlier and it didn't taste the best, is it ok to mix with milk?

jeffreyt21

Reaction score
Milk is fine. If you really want to lose weight though, I read that taking it with straight water is the best.

Britannia

Reaction score
googler said:
duly noted.

and what should i mix the whey with? its chocolate flavoured and i tried it with water earlier and it didn't taste the best, is it ok to mix with milk?

What brand are you taking? Its not Maximuslce is it?

cook'n'milkies

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey dudes, I'm a dumbass and don't know anything about working out(i'm an artist). I want to know an easy way to gain a little weight. I have a ridiculous metabolism. I'm 6' 3" and about 159 lbs. I'd like to put on about 5 to 10 lbs. I dont really care if it's all muscle.

googler

Established Member
Reaction score
Britannia said:
googler said:
duly noted.

What brand are you taking? Its not Maximuslce is it?

The whey is optimum nutrition, and the creatine is ABB (AMERICAN BODY BUILDERS I think?).

I just mix the whey with water, in spite of the sh*t taste. But I read that mixing the creatine with cranberry juice reduces stomach cramps, so I'm going to start mixing it with cranberry juice.

My plan is to take some whey 2 hours before training, then a teaspoon of creatine (5 grams) an hour before training. Then take 5 grams of creatine after training, and 30 minutes later take more whey.

Then on rest days, some whey in the morning and at night and a teaspoon of creatine sometime during the day. Does this sound ok? I'm 6'6 and 95kg (210lbs) that probably makes me sound like a fat bastard but I'm not , I'm in relatively good shape, with a bit of flab on my chest, stomach and *** that needs toning but because I'm quite tall its not as noticeable on me as it would a smaller guy. My goal is to tone up and pack on a lot of muscle. I'm aiming for a body like Brad Pitt in fight club.

jumpedthegun

Established Member
Reaction score
Is the liquid form of creatine any good? I've heard from some that it is superior to powder because it is more easily absorbed (no loading), and I've heard from others that it is unstable and worthless.