Where do you buy GREEN green tea?

CCS

Reaction score
Is green tea supposed to be green? Why is it that every bag I've bought makes brown tea?

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score
Original tea is made with tea leaves, which are very green. What makes it look brown is the fact that they are dried out :whistle:

CCS

Reaction score
Ian Curtis said:
Original tea is made with tea leaves, which are very green. What makes it look brown is the fact that they are dried out :whistle:

So it is just the chlorophil then? The anti-oxidants are still good?

propaganda

Reaction score
Ian Curtis said:

Green tea does not look brown. It looks green and when you brew it, it looks green. As far as i know low quality green tea turns brown immediately. I would totally avoid tea in bags cause they put leftover low quality tea dust in them. Buy some full leaf tea. Good tea costs money.

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score
propaganda said:
Ian Curtis said:

Green tea does not look brown. It looks green and when you brew it, it looks green. As far as i know low quality green tea turns brown immediately. I would totally avoid tea in bags cause they put leftover low quality tea dust in them. Buy some full leaf tea. Good tea costs money.

Qi_Lan_Oolong_tea_leaf.jpg

These are dried tea leaves. They look brown.

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
CCS said:
Is green tea supposed to be green? Why is it that every bag I've bought makes brown tea?

Then it's not proper green tea. By the way white tea is better that green tea, has less caffeine and more antioxidants, but it stilll looks green when you brew it.

propaganda

Reaction score
Ian Curtis said:
propaganda said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oolong[/url]
"somewhere between green and black in oxidation"
Oolong is oxidized tea. That's why it's brown/black.
Here is random picture from google how green tea looks like depending on what parts of the plant were used.
http://www.orientalherb.com/images/green_tea_large.jpg
Green tea looks green in a dried state.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Ask the Asian dudes for the real sh*t!

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score
CCS said:

HA HA HA HA HA this is my new signature thank you CCS!!

Nene

Reaction score
My best friend is Chinese and his father has a shop where he sells tea from China. If not I go to tenrent in Chinatown in NYC. You can also order from then online. Tenren.com. You can't buy the fake stuff when it comes to green tea. Rinse it well though cause Chinese stuff could have a lot of pesticides.