When minoxidil is working, what do you first notice?

mgdpublic

Reaction score
I've been using Rogaine for 2.5 months and don't notice any change. What will I see if/when it begins working? How does the hair come in?

Stingray

Reaction score
It could be within the next couple months, or it could be within the next year. Just stick with it and add a DHT inhibitor if you aren't already on it.

Patience is the key in this battle.

neonman1212

Reaction score
mgdpublic wrote
I've been using Rogaine for 2.5 months and don't notice any change. What will I see if/when it begins working? How does the hair come in?

Mgdpublic I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Rogaine and Propecia are not a cure for hair loss, they're not going to save your hair. These drugs may slow down the rate of hair loss, but eventually your going to loose the battle, because Rogaine and Propecia aren't really capable of starting new hair growth cycles. I think the only way medical science is going to cure hair loss "is the hard way" and that's true genetics. It may take 20, 50 or 100 years until that happens. You were born too soon.

Reaction score
I was seeing some slight results on my crown and my temples after about five or six weeks. I've been on it for two months. In another two months, I'll probably have a lot of it patched up.

It varies for everyone, I guess.

mediatech

Reaction score
neonman1212 said:
mgdpublic wrote

Mgdpublic I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Rogaine and Propecia are not a cure for hair loss, they're not going to save your hair. These drugs may slow down the rate of hair loss, but eventually your going to loose the battle, because Rogaine and Propecia aren't really capable of starting new hair growth cycles. I think the only way medical science is going to cure hair loss "is the hard way" and that's true genetics. It may take 20, 50 or 100 years until that happens. You were born too soon.

But copper peptides might just do what Rogaine and Propecia can't... reverse skin aging. I have had a lot of regrowth in 3 1/2 months on copper peptides alone. I have never used Rogaine or Propecia. My suggestion is to add a heavy dose of Folligen and Emu Oil to your regimen. Apply the Emu Oil first then Folligen.

The Gardener

Reaction score
neonman1212 said:

I disagree. Both minoxidil and Finasteride have been proven in clinical trials to literally turn dormant and/or vellous hairs into pigmented terminal hairs in a majority of users.

minoxidil especially has been very well proven to do exactly what you say it doesn't. Even bald areas have hair on them, which means that the hair there is undergoing a growth cycle, albeit a very short cycle. minoxidil is proven in a majority of users to lengthen this cycle in vellous hairs most recently made dormant and stimulate follicles into growing hairs in a cycle more comparable to hairs in full terminal phase.

To answer the original poster, 2.5 months is far from enough time to evaluate the effects of a hair regimen. Give it 4 months to really see if you are a responder to minoxidil (you will realize this probably NOT through obvious regrowth but probably instead through an improvement in existing hair quality in areas once thinning) and then give it another full year before making any conclusions about its regrowth properties on your scalp in particular.

For me, for example, after 5 months of minoxidil usage, the areas of my scalp where I HAVE hair but it was thinning to the point of looking different than the healthier areas of my scalp.... these hairs have responded magnificently! I have a widows peak hairline, and the center forehead hair was existent, but thin and brittle and curly. This hair is now of visibly equal quality to the hair behind it, and my frontal hair is immeasurably more stylable than it was before treatment.

As for regrowth, I have significant regrowth in my once bald upper temples. These temples were once sharply edged at the top, and now the new growth has somewhat 'rounded off' the high temple hairline if I pull my hair back. However, these new hairs are not very strong nor thick, and cosmetically are not much of an improvement... YET. The common knowledge I have gotten from this board is that minoxidil gives you 2-3 years of improvement in temple vellous hairs, so I am hopeful that in addition to the very nice improvement I have in thickness, length, and stylability of my existing hair that was once thinning (i.e. I saved my hairline!) there is a very good chance given my response that I might shave an inch off my once balding hairline if my regrown hair continues to profligate as it is now.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
neonman1212 said:
Mgdpublic I hate to be the bearer of bad news (blah blah blah)

DUDE, this has NOTHING to do with his question. Why you posted this is beyond reason, except that you are frustrated with your own situation and are trying to deal with your own loss. Dont push your bad trip off on others.

We all know theres no cure for hairloss. But minoxidil and finasteride CAN regrow hair.

G

neonman1212 said:
mgdpublic wrote

Actually both drugs in the FDA studies grew new hair in a substantial number of test subjects. The data is available on the research section of this website.

:D

G

neonman1212 said:
mgdpublic wrote

Actually both drugs in the FDA studies grew new hair in a substantial number of test subjects. The data is available on the research section of this website.

:D

okok

Reaction score
minoxidil 5%

I used regaine 5% on the hairline and the 2 side since oct 2003. Thank GOD I notice some growth on the area after few weeks.
I have thinning in the the frontal area(4 cm from the hairline..) but no thinning in the vertex, maybe the 2/3A in MBP. I start to apply the regaine on all the thinning area sine Dec 2003, but, still no observable regrowth in the frontal area( but i notice growth on the hairline when used it for few weeks).
Is it easier to regrow in the frontal area than the hairline? I am worried about this as I notice growth in the hairline after few weeks, but still no obserable regrowth in the frontal area...
Any suggestions??? Thx.

Currently, i take:
Propecia,
regaine 5%,
sp,
21th century "herb for ur hair"

WRXSTi04

Reaction score
Did you spell Rogaine wrong?

Anyways I have used rogaine alone for 4-5 montha and have seen tiny fine hairs growing. It does work for me just the hair is super fine and small. From my knowledge it is the way its supposed to look. I added Proscar 1.25mg daily a few days a go so we will see how it turns out in several months. I also use Nizoral 1% every 3 days since it is so highly recommended on this forum

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
WRXSTi04 said:
I added Proscar 1.25mg daily a few days a go so we will see how it turns out in several months.

Be patient. You wont see effects from the finasteride for at least half a year. Just stick with your finasteride/min/nizoral, keep your scalp in good health, and odds are you'll be one of the lucky ones.

neonman1212

Reaction score
flux wrote:
DUDE, this has NOTHING to do with his question. Why you posted this is beyond reason, except that you are frustrated with your own situation and are trying to deal with your own loss. Dont push your bad trip off on others.

I'm just trying to set the boy straight. Rogaine can grow cosmetically noticeable hair in about 5 percent of the people who take it, and Propecia is basically a more convenient form of Rogaine in its effectiveness. These drugs probably have an initial effect on hair regrowth and then this effect will fade over time. Medical science is rather unimpressive, their wheels spin in grease.

G

neonman1212 said:
flux wrote:

I'm just trying to set the boy straight. Rogaine can grow cosmetically noticeable hair in about 5 percent of the people who take it, and Propecia is basically a more convenient form of Rogaine in its effectiveness. These drugs probably have an initial effect on hair regrowth and then this effect will fade over time. Medical science is rather unimpressive, their wheels spin in grease.

Neither of your statements are accurate. Can you cite any credible source for your statements or are you shooting from the lip??

neonman1212

Reaction score
BruceLee wrote:
Neither of your statements are accurate. Can you cite any credible source for your statements or are you shooting from the lip??

I believe both of my statements are true. The fact that people are taking 4 or 5 other drugs for hair loss on top of Rogaine probably speaks to the effectiveness of Rogaine. Your hair follicles have been genetically programmed to shut down, and that's what their going to do, Rogaine or no Rogaine. I believe the only way hair loss is going to be cured is when somebody figures out the genetic riddle that is are DNA.

G

neonman1212 said:
BruceLee wrote:

I believe both of my statements are true. The fact that people are taking 4 or 5 other drugs for hair loss on top of Rogaine probably speaks to the effectiveness of Rogaine. Your hair follicles have been genetically programmed to shut down, and that's what their going to do, Rogaine or no Rogaine. I believe the only way hair loss is going to be cured is when somebody figures out the genetic riddle that is are DNA.

Well it is NICE that YOU BELIEVE that your statements are true. Hell, many lunatics REALLY BELIEVE that they are the CHRIST.

The point I have been trying to make is that there is solid science behind the regrowth capabilities of minoxidil, propecia, and nizoral. So, believe what you want, the new hair on my head doesn't care.

G

Healthy Nick said:
BruceLee said:
Well it is NICE that YOU BELIEVE that your statements are true. Hell, many lunatics REALLY BELIEVE that they are the CHRIST.

that was hilarious. :lol:

Thanks. I have met a few and hey, they got the sandles!

:hairy:

Resultsnottypical

Established Member
Reaction score
right on

Good Post Gardener.

I have seen the same exact effect...I am nearing the 5 month mark and I have seen growth at the crown and thickening of the diffuse areas in front. It is noticeable, and if I had even 50 percent of the effectiveness over the next six months that I have had this last 5, I would be a Norwood 0.5 or so. Totally acceptable for 33 years of age.

minoxidil DOES work, perhaps not for everyone, and perhaps not as well for some. I understand the frustration for those that it is not working in, but that does not change the facts that it does work for many (as propecia does too).

And if it stopped working tomorrow for me, it wouldn't change my mind, or the facts that it works for a statistically significant amount of people.