When is a good age for hair transplant?

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am just interested to know what age do you guys think is good for a hair transplant. I am asking this because I am currently 24 and am thinking of a hair transplant a few years (3 years) down the road. Figure it doesn't hurt to do my research now.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58704

This thread shows the current extent of my hair loss, which is rather mild and definitely does not warrant a hair transplant. However, I read that guys who start balding in their 2nd decade are likely to see progressive hair loss, so I am worried that I will hit NW4 soon....

Yea so what age will the general extent of your final balding pattern be evident? I am extremely curious about this fact. Oh yea I am currently taking 1mg finasteride and Nizoral EOD.

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score
I really hope more experienced posters will help me out here.

Rassman said that 25 is a good age to judge your final hair loss pattern, but Im quitesure that is overly young to get a good gauge. Nonetheless, a late 20s hair transplant sounds attractive to me provided my hair loss really stabilise at 25....

Nene

Reaction score
Man I wish I knew. For everyone it is different, there really is no answer. Seems like men who go extensively bald generally lose most of it in their 20s and 30s so honestly 40 is probably the best age because at that point testosterone levels start to go down and balding slows down. However, I would say by early 30s you should be able to get a pretty good idea of where you're headed. After looking at your pics I don't think you'll hit Norwood 4 anytime soon.

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score
Nene said:
Man I wish I knew. For everyone it is different, there really is no answer. Seems like men who go extensively bald generally lose most of it in their 20s and 30s so honestly 40 is probably the best age because at that point testosterone levels start to go down and balding slows down. However, I would say by early 30s you should be able to get a pretty good idea of where you're headed. After looking at your pics I don't think you'll hit Norwood 4 anytime soon.

Thanks. My temples are giving me a lot of grief. Hopefully both of us will be able to maintain on medication alone :)

Innermind

Established Member
Reaction score
dudemon said:
Vanzzzz said:
... Oh yea I am currently taking 1mg finasteride and Nizoral EOD.

Whhhaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttt.........?????? :dropmouth:

You mean this could be the first person on this site in eons that hasn't stopped taking finasteride becuase of "sides"???

Well, Glory be and Hallelujah! I thought I was the only one here who uses finasteride without the dreaded "sides." :whistle:

Go figure. But for every one of us who uses finasteride with no sides, there must be 100 that get sides.... :whistle: ...so I guess I shouldn't get too excited.

whatever. finasteride didnt give me sides, it just didnt work. For every one of us who uses and gets results, there are 100 who dont get results. Its a very hit and mis drug imo, and I dont think anyone should rely on it.

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score
Innermind said:
dudemon said:
Vanzzzz said:
... Oh yea I am currently taking 1mg finasteride and Nizoral EOD.

Whhhaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttt.........?????? :dropmouth:

You mean this could be the first person on this site in eons that hasn't stopped taking finasteride becuase of "sides"???

Well, Glory be and Hallelujah! I thought I was the only one here who uses finasteride without the dreaded "sides." :whistle:

Go figure. But for every one of us who uses finasteride with no sides, there must be 100 that get sides.... :whistle: ...so I guess I shouldn't get too excited.

whatever. finasteride didnt give me sides, it just didnt work. For every one of us who uses and gets results, there are 100 who dont get results. Its a very hit and mis drug imo, and I dont think anyone should rely on it.

I thought finasteride has a 90% success rate? TBH I will be pretty happy just keeping whatever I have now, and halt my progression.

Oh yea nene, getting a hair transplant at 40 is kinda too late I think lol. The whole point is to look your best during your youth. The whole point is that I hate being the odd one out, ie balding when the rest of my frens are ok. At 40, I think balding should become more acceptable for me. Though of course I hope I will be able to maintain my hair for DECADES to come.

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score
dudemon said:
Vanzzzz said:
Oh yea nene, getting a hair transplant at 40 is kinda too late I think lol. The whole point is to look your best during your youth. The whole point is that I hate being the odd one out, ie balding when the rest of my frens are ok. At 40, I think balding should become more acceptable for me. Though of course I hope I will be able to maintain my hair for DECADES to come.

I am 41. So, I can honestly tell you that being 40 makes little difference if you are single. Older women require fairly youthful looking guys even at 40. In fact, when you are my age, you will have to compete with guys younger because older women in their 30s/early 40s are looking for younger early/mid thirty something good (young) looking guys. Not all women, but the single ones, yes. The older ones who are divorced and have kids are looking for more stable men that are good fathers for their kids. But even they are looking for men that will "satisfy" them, much the same as younger women do.

So, its all relevant. If you are sinlge and divorced like I am, it can be highly competitive in the dating scene, even at 40.

One thing I've noticed is that all you 20 something guys think that life is basically over at 40. According to most of you, once you you hit 40, its time to "hit the bingo parlors, and get yourself hoveround, cause life ends at 40."

Well, I can assure you it doesn't. Being 40 doesn't physically or mentally feel that much different than 30 does. And your youthful appearance really doesnt start fading until 45-50. The kinds of activities only change to "old fogeyville" if you allow them to. Hell, I know guys in their 50s that are more active than most 20 somethings!

Yea but if I get married by 30, appearance will be important but will be less. Also, I am Asian, and divorce is generally less common in Asia countries. Besides, the point for me is being the norm, rather than the exception.

A lot of men are bald(ing) by 40s. Hence I will blend in easily and hair loss wont make me stand out of my age group anymore. The whole point is to fit in with your age group.

GeminiX

Reaction score
hair transplant at 40 is pretty good actually, and for a number of reasons:

• A good hair transplant at forty can make you look thirty again, I *think* I look younger now than I did fifteen years ago :)[/*:m:3ltjl7q1]
  • You're more likely to be able to afford it and be able to make a choice of surgeon not based on cost.[/*:m:3ltjl7q1]
  • You're (hopefully) in a better place mentally and able to see the the world with more wisdom and understanding.[/*:m:3ltjl7q1]
  • When you're hitting forty, you're actually starting to appreciate what is important in life and may not want a hair transplant at all.[/*:m:3ltjl7q1]

Probably a bunch of other stuff too...