WHEN DO HAIR FOLLICLES "DIE"???

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I can't find this even remotely answered anywhere on the web!

For those of us who have accelerated diffuse thinning all over our damn heads, which MIGHT be some degree of telogen effluvium, but is most likely just agressive male pattern baldness triggered by whatever, this question is important. How long does it take for a hair follicle to die? I got on propecia 4 months ago. At 2.5 months my hair losse had ceased, or at least slowed down greatly. So IF I can expect to see new hair replace the ones that had fallen out drastically over only the first 6 months of 2003, when can I expect to see them grow back, if ever? Or did they die already, never to return again?

I love propecia. I swear it had made the hairs that I do have on my widows peek grow in thicker already. But oh, how I would love to see that full head grow back.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Two philosophies exist:

1. They simply miniaturize to the point of not producing visible hairs, and then continue to operate, just not to the extent that they're producing much if anything. This theory states that if the right stimulus can be found, these follicles can be forced back into full production.

2. They miniaturize and slow down and ultimately stop making hairs. And ... are unable to make hairs in the future.

Nobody knows for sure which is true.

HairLossTalk.com

zak84

Established Member
Reaction score
the blood vessel that's connected to the follicle dies (disconnects from the follicle) as a by product of dht in the bulb

G

According to the hair-dot king never.

I'll find out the 15th of this month.

Hey bombscience, what about meeting up with me to visit the hair-dot-king?

bombscience

Reaction score
elguapo,

congratulations on your results. a thicker hair shaft is the first step to happiness.

hebsmith,

um sure, i'll go to see him. however realize i know his product is a scam, and i'd be going there just for an interesting story to tell people on this site.

crayola

Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
Two philosophies exist:

1. They simply miniaturize to the point of not producing visible hairs, and then continue to operate, just not to the extent that they're producing much if anything. This theory states that if the right stimulus can be found, these follicles can be forced back into full production.

2. They miniaturize and slow down and ultimately stop making hairs. And ... are unable to make hairs in the future.

Nobody knows for sure which is true.

HairLossTalk.com

I've actually read that it's a combo of these 2. That most hair follicles never die, but some do. I got this qote off of http://www.morphollica.com:

"It is believed that not all of the hair follicle cells that are affected by male pattern baldness die off, leaving the majority of the cells alive and intact, only incapable of producing cosmetically significant, terminal hair."

Anyone who's ever taken a intro biology class may know what apoptosis is. It's pre programmed cell death. A cell basically suicides itself when it's DNA tells it to. I am curious as to if this comes into play at all with hair. If it does I don't see how ANY treatment could stop it. But hair follicles don't seem to die until they have been significantly miniturized for a long time. But i've read of the death of hair follicles referred to as "hair cell apoptosis", so I dunno. Maybe it's my limited biology terminology knowledge.

G

bombscience

if you change your mind I will be seeing him 15h at 3:00 pm.

How do you know it's a scam? Do you believe the shave thing?

I am not saying it's not a scam. I don't think he shaved, I think it is photoshop work, some other type of fraud, or for real.

It's FREE to look.

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
the reason I ask is that, as I bitched before=), I lost a lot of hair within like 6 months while studying abroad in europe, on the anterior of my scalp- the "widows peak" area. I lost it "diffusely", much like HairLossTalk.com if you look at his picks in the "my story" section. But when I part my hair there I do not see any small, vellous hairs at all- just skin- in between the surrounding thick, healthy hairs. It's like the hairs were planted their like trees in a forest, to use a lame analogy.

So what I am wondering is if the in-between areas will ever fill in again. If propecia has stopped my hair loss (and I AM thankful for this), does that mean the follicles that aren't producing hair right now will wake back up and live again?

But thanks for your responses. Much appreciated. Good luck guys. Please let me know what you learn from the Doctor.

bombscience

Reaction score
hebsmith said:
bombscience

if you change your mind I will be seeing him 15h at 3:00 pm.

How do you know it's a scam? Do you believe the shave thing?

I am not saying it's not a scam. I don't think he shaved, I think it is photoshop work, some other type of fraud, or for real.

It's FREE to look.

Yeah it's a scam. New hair does not grow in that way. That guys is weird, but i'll go see him for a good story. :)