When Did You Start Noticing Results From Oral Minoxidil?

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
When did you begin noticing results?

What was the severity of your dread shed?

How long did the shed last?

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Personally, no results after 92 days on oral minoxidil. Hairline is worse than ever but no signs of shedding

I am starting to think it is not working for me, sadly. On 5 mg per day

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Personally, no results after 92 days on oral minoxidil. Hairline is worse than ever but no signs of shedding

I am starting to think it is not working for me, sadly. On 5 mg per day

I’ve heard that can happen when it’s used alone, unfortunately.

I was on 1mg from July- December 2019 and 2mg since late December. Have also been taking finasteride for 18 months.

My hair is the worst its ever been. Diffused all over the top.

1MG and 2MG are quite low doses. My theory is that finasteride isn’t strong enough to support the shedding from oral minoxidil in some people, or the loss of dependant hairs from the topical. But, I’m reading your post about your experience, and you mentioned that you stopped using the topical. Maybe the dependant hairs from topical minoxidil fell out. I think you should increase the oral minoxidil dose to 5MG/day. 1MG and 2MG are minimally effective within males in studies, and 5MG is seen as desirable.

Pollylocks

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve heard that can happen when it’s used alone, unfortunately.

1MG and 2MG are quite low doses. My theory is that finasteride isn’t strong enough to support the shedding from oral minoxidil in some people, or the loss of dependant hairs from the topical. But, I’m reading your post about your experience, and you mentioned that you stopped using the topical. Maybe the dependant hairs from topical minoxidil fell out. I think you should increase the oral minoxidil dose to 5MG/day. 1MG and 2MG are minimally effective within males in studies, and 5MG is seen as desirable.

Topical never did anything for me so I shouldnt have had any dependant hairs. Also switched at the advice of an ISHRS surgeon. I'm hoping swapping has just induced some Telogen Effluvium and it will recover. He said to try 2mg for 6 months and then see him again to reassess and go from there.

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Topical never did anything for me so I shouldnt have had any dependant hairs. Also switched at the advice of an ISHRS surgeon. I'm hoping swapping has just induced some Telogen Effluvium and it will recover. He said to try 2mg for 6 months and then see him again to reassess and go from there.

Switching from the topical to the oral version is recommendable, since the conversion to minoxidil sulfate can occur. But, I don’t think swapping would induce Telogen Effluvium lasting for as long as you did. It generally lasts for 6 - 8 weeks (known as the initial shed), and then typically at 6 months you can evaluate results. My opinion is that finasteride wasn’t able to handle the IS from oral minoxidil, especially oral minoxidil at 2MG/day. People on this website who got results from it generally took 5MG - 20MG/day.

Remember, to use oral minoxidil and for it to work, there needs to conversion to minoxidil sulfate. You may or may not have enough enzymes within your liver to convert it to the amount needed for good results, which is why 2MG is a bizarre dose in my opinion. I don’t know why your ISHRS surgeon isn’t taking that into account.

Pollylocks

My Regimen
Reaction score
My opinion is that finasteride wasn’t able to handle the IS from oral minoxidil, especially oral minoxidil at 2MG/day.

So I'm unlikely to recover those hairs? I consulted with a dermatologist too and they also recommended starting off at 1mg and increasing if required. Even Dr David Lim says 1/2mg in his video if I'm remembering correctly.

Scoobysnack

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
FWIW my hair surgeon recommended and then perscribed 2.5 mg min tablets daily. She said she sees "great" or "tremendous" results with her patients. I only take half her perscribed dose. My wife is drunk off one beer while others like me can down 6 and be unphased.

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I'm unlikely to recover those hairs? I consulted with a dermatologist too and they also recommended starting off at 1mg and increasing if required. Even Dr David Lim says 1/2mg in his video if I'm remembering correctly.

Oh, they can recover, just not at lower doses. Within studies, males have been tested on doses of 5MG/day. Women have been tested at lower doses since their response to medications are different, and women generally pair it with spironolactone/flutamide.

C111F067-FE04-4F51-933D-B768F8632FE1.jpeg

Pollylocks

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh, they can recover, just not at lower doses. Within studies, males have been tested on doses of 5MG/day. Women have been tested at lower doses since their response to medications are different, and women generally pair it with spironolactone/flutamide.

Ok cool, thanks for taking the time to reply and post this, really appreciate it. I'll continue with 2mg for now and talk about increasing the dose with him when I go in for a follow up in a few months.

moksel

Reaction score
So for me oral minoxidil (4mg per day) began to work almost overnight. After one week I saw my eyebrows thicken, and after two I noticed my scalp hair standing up more. Now about 2 months in, I see many terminal hair sprouting all over my scalp and my hair can be styled alot easier. I like the added eye brow thickness and eye lashes too, it gives me a more youthful appearance. For me oral minoxidil is a godsend, if this continues I won't have a hair care in the world for the coming years.

Intrigued77777777

My Regimen
Reaction score
So for me oral minoxidil (4mg per day) began to work almost overnight. After one week I saw my eyebrows thicken, and after two I noticed my scalp hair standing up more. Now about 2 months in, I see many terminal hair sprouting all over my scalp and my hair can be styled alot easier. I like the added eye brow thickness and eye lashes too, it gives me a more youthful appearance. For me oral minoxidil is a godsend, if this continues I won't have a hair care in the world for the coming years.
How is it going?

Did you use topical in the beginning?

Headdy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How have you been? :)

moksel

Reaction score
How have you been? :)
Well, I have not been so rigorous to taking it for the past 4 months and unfortunately I have lost some ground in the temple area's. The main reason for not taking it was actually the effect I feel it has on my endurance capacity on the bike. I am a road cyclist and marathon skater and I feel that my fitness takes a hit, about 10%, when taking minoxidil. I am restarting this week and see where I it will go. I have no big events from cycling so I'll take the fitness hit for now.

Ramsey A.

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, I have not been so rigorous to taking it for the past 4 months and unfortunately I have lost some ground in the temple area's. The main reason for not taking it was actually the effect I feel it has on my endurance capacity on the bike. I am a road cyclist and marathon skater and I feel that my fitness takes a hit, about 10%, when taking minoxidil. I am restarting this week and see where I it will go. I have no big events from cycling so I'll take the fitness hit for now.

Any updates ? ….Also I’m around your age as well I was doing 2 drops in the morning 2 drops at night Kirkland minoxidil…but it was bothering me at night when I was falling asleep for some reason ….im thinking about doing 2 drops in the morning and 2 drops after work …any tips will be helpful .