What treatments are there for Ansomnia?

CCS

Reaction score
What if melatonin does not work?

Are prescription sleeping pills the best bet?

I have a friend who just takes Benedrill since it has the side effect of putting her to sleep. If she has allergies, the benedrill's primary effects (fight allergies) are there too. Does that sound harmless or scary?

G

collegechemistrystudent said:
I have a friend who just takes Benedrill since it has the side effect of putting her to sleep. If she has allergies, the benedrill's primary effects (fight allergies) are there too. Does that sound harmless or scary?

i'd say it's harmless.

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i would suggest trying melatonin again if it did not work but changing the dosage (smaller might be more effective) and also sticking with a dosage for at least a week.
she has to take it everyday at the same time also on weekends no excuses because it need to get you body regulated
and she also needs to wake up around the same time every day
it didnt work for me at first and i thought im screwd(my sleeping has been bothering me for all my life)but after doing all this steps i found my correct dose and it works great, ive been sleeping great ever since
she might also want to try 400 mg of valerian in addition although it dosent do much for me even at high doses.
i cant imagine her problem being to bad if an allergy pill puts her to sleep
mine was so bad that even 10 mg of valium wouldnt do the trick

powersam

Reaction score
none of the above drugs/supplements are in any way related to treating someone who has lost their sense of smell.

/edit my mistake, its actually anosmia.

SkylineGTR

Experienced Member
Reaction score
lol.

First of all you have to look at your sleep habits.
The biggest problem with insomniacs is sleep hygiene.

Do you drink caffeine within 2 hours of your bed time? Stop.
Do you eat a big meal or sugar products within 2 hours of bedtime? Stop.
Do you use any kind of stimulation to "help" you sleep (tv...radio...etc..). Stop ... keep the room and all stimulation to an absolute minimum(everything off but the crickets).
Do you keep a set sleep pattern or are you all over the place? 1am one day 10pm the next 4 am the next. Your going to be all over the place and you need to get into a good schedule.
Are you on any medications that might cause restlessness? You might have to change dosing times or change to another med.

Because you might just have to break some bad habits and you will sleep fine.

If it is an ACTUAL diagnosed insomnia problem then it has something to do psychologically. This would have to be corrected. To get this test you would have to get a sleep study then if that comes back inconclusive a MWT (maintenance of wakefulness test) to test for TRUE insomnia.

As far as sleep medications my lab has done testing with rozerum and I highly recommend it. Stay away from ambien or lunesta or any knock out opiates/anti depressants that docs like to perscribe.

<-- your registered friendly sleep tech.

IBM

Reaction score
i got the crazy idea of taking 5 valiums. I slept all weekend.