What to do

brander3

Reaction score
I have been following HairLossTalk.com for quite some time now. I just joined because I need some guidance as to how to treat my shedding problem. I started diffuse thinning back when I was 19 heading into my sophmore year of college. It was coming out in clumps and I had some thick hair. I quickly did a lot of research and began my battle with finasteride, nizoral, tric. spray, and minoxidil liquid. I shed like never before. I had to literally snake the drain in my shower it was so bad. I was young and wanted a quick fix which many of you know starting all those treatments at one time was a terrible idea. I kept researching while consistently keeping my regimen. Since my scalp was so itchy and flaky I decided to hold back and let finasteride do its job first before I start any regrowth agents. To my surprise the shedding stopped and my scalp healed up after about 6 months and I was shocked. Losing my hair consumed my everyday life. I gave finasteride some time with small side effects. Once at the "year" mark it was working like magic and my loss had almost haulted. I loved the drug. I would have lost most of it had it not been for finasteride. Well here I am almost 6 yrs later still on finasteride and using nizoral and i decided to try minoxidil again with tricomin spray to try and thicken up a bit seeing thinning has progressed to a certain degree over the years. I started 3 months on the rogaine 5% liquid with the tric spray and at no shock it irritated my scalp to the point where I thought it was the propylene glycol so I quickly switched to the foam. When I first noticed the itchy scalp I began to shed 50 + hairs in the shower. Now I have been using the foam for 2 1/2 months with tea tree shampoo in between the nizoral 2% to heal my scalp. I got rid of most of the itchy scalp but my shedding has yet to sieze after 5 1/2 months of minoxidil use. I have halted the 2x day application of the minoxidil and limited it to 1x daily just a line across my hairline and a massage on the crown. I was massaging it all over my head like a mad man previously and was going through bottles every 3 weeks.

Im sorry for such a long post. Im new and was wondering if anyone could give some insight as to how I should approach this issue because its beginning to consume my every thought and im close to throwing in the towel. I plan to post some pics soon and have had some decent growth with the minoxidil. It has thinned my entire head quite a bit though with all the shedding with my hairline a lot more noticeable. I do have many tiny hairs all over but im wondering if my scalp is just too sensitive. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys

ice2613

Reaction score
quick question, when you started using finasteride initially, how much were you shedding before you started and you said you noticed it stopped shedding and itching around 6 months. So were you still shedding and itching even while on finasteride for those first 5 months?

Now on to your question, if i was you, i would have you DHT and Test levels tested and if your DHT levels are elevated, you may want to up your dose of finasteride or hop on avodart. If not, there are a few different methods you could try