What should I do?

Chris23

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all I'm 23 and starting to receed on the right side of my head and thin in the front, I'd like to catch this before it gets any worse and while I still might have a shot to regrow this hair that I lost.
There are some things I'm unsure of, could I of possibly caused this loss myself? I've had my hair parted in the middle and on the right side for about the past 9 yrs and I only cut it really short 3 times in that time, and I immediately grew it back out, I always wanted it long enough to pull it in a pony tail and its to that point now but I won't feel comfortable wearing it like that if I'm thinning in the front. My mom and some others told me that I caused it myself by parting it there and putting gel and hair spray in it all of these years, plus I have a calick in that area in the front also, could that of caused it and if so, is there still a chance i could regrow it?
I was really leaning towards getting a hair transplant to replace the hair in the front and Im thinking that would do me for a few yrs I hope, and I figure I'd only need a few hundred hairs 2, maybe 3 to fix it, but after readin some of the stories on here about that I dont think I'm gonna go that route.
This is what I'm unsure of, I dont wanna start propecia cause I know once I do I'm stuck for life on it which is a pretty intimadating thought, espially since everyone in my family is living or has lived past the age of 80, so I know i'm in it for the long haul , but this is what I'm unclear of, they say propecia only blocks one type of dht but avodart blocks both types of it, so why does everyon go with propecia and not avodart? is it just cause propecia is the only proven one and noone wants to take the risk with avodart?
Do you guys really think if i start with this stuff now I should like in a year be in pretty good shape in the frontal area?
Thanks alot for any help and advice in advance.

Ireallyhatethis

Reaction score
The reason a lot more guys are on Propecia VS. Avodart, is because no one knows the effects of Avodart. Plus since it is stronger then Propecia the sexual side effects are *probably* stronger(can anyone validate this, just what I've heard). It sounds weird, you said you're ONLY losing your hair on the right side of your head and not on the left? If so I don't know what that is, since I am only familiar with male pattern baldness< which if you're explaining is correct then it does not sound like male pattern baldness. Also I don't think you using hair supplies in the area could have caused the hair loss. Although it is possible since you said you put your hair in a pony-tail that it is possible the strain from the pulling of the hair can cause hair loss but usually on both sides(I've seen this in many women, because their hair is pulled back). Do not go for a hair transplant just yet. I'd say see your doctor so he can properly diagnose what you have, because to be honest, I have no idea what that could be.

Chris23

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, it's more receeded on the right side, like say I stand in front of a mirror and the light is on my head i can see the line and the way that my hair is going to receed, does that make any sense? the right side is more receeded but its thinning throughout the front on both sides, if i look close enough i can see my scalp thru the whole front of my hair on both sides but for some reason the right is receeded more then the left..
I thought about the pony tail thing to, but I've only pulled it back less then 10 times so I doubt that could be what the problem is
Im assuming this is male pattern baldness cuz my grandpa my mom's dad was bald completly on the top but at my age he had more hair then i do now so thats why i'm unsure why it's hitting me now cause my dad's dad still has all of his hair, but my grandma his wife, is thinning it looks and so are my 2 aunts (their kids) and i dont know bout my dad since we've never met so i can't compare myself to him unfortatenly
I'm tryin to compare myself to famous ppl to help get a idea of how mine is, i dont know if anyone watches wrestling? but my hairline in the front very closely resembles that of shawn michaels, and i think it may receed in the same pattern that the rocks and kurt angles did and they couldnt do anything with theirs so they shaved their's and that is why i wanna catch this now before it reaches that point and it is quickly approaching that.
So is there any shot to save myself?

Ireallyhatethis

Reaction score
Of course you can prevent it if the treatments work. If this is male pattern baldness then I'd say Propecia is your best option. Since it sounds like you haven't lost that much hair then Propecia can stop or halt any further progress(83% of the guys it works for). Remember to use Nizoral with this. However again you are going to have to see your doctor before you can get Propecia so see what he says. Also if you really want to grow back whatever you have lost just add Rogaine to your regiment. That is the "big 3" as they say on this board, so that is what I am on, and I'm only 19, and I am probably further along then you. So that is what I would do, but consult a doctor, and my right side is a lil bit worse too so I know what you mean.