What leg workout can I do on squat day?

CCS

Reaction score
Some times after doing squats, my rear and several other muscles are sore. I don't want to work those muscle groups twice. Which leg muscle groups may I work on squat day? Obviously not quads or glutes, but what else?

And I learned that after a run, my shin muscles are done. So I don't work them on running days. My hamstrings were too.

easynow

Established Member
Reaction score
what about some form of deadlifts?

CCS

Reaction score
are deadlifts where you just pick a bar up off the ground till you are standing up? That uses most of the squat muscles, but also uses the lower back more. Would that conflict with my back/bi day? Are there any other muscles the dead lift works that the squat does not?

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
you should workout your legs more than 1 a week....but if you want to have just a leg day id recommend

squats
straight-leg deadlifts
leg-press
standing calf raises
seated calf raises

thats it

CCS

Reaction score
I work my legs every other day, hitting every muscle group. I even do my shins. But I don't squat every other day. I do that every 4th day, alternated with HIIT on a stationary bike. Today was my HIIT day, and I noticed some of my muscles were still sore. Could be because I got 6 hours of sleep last night, but I wonder if Squats already target the same muscles I do in some of my other exercises. The only thing I don't work is my toe tensers.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
I work my legs every other day, hitting every muscle group. I even do my shins. But I don't squat every other day. I do that every 4th day, alternated with HIIT on a stationary bike. Today was my HIIT day, and I noticed some of my muscles were still sore. Could be because I got 6 hours of sleep last night, but I wonder if Squats already target the same muscles I do in some of my other exercises. The only thing I don't work is my toe tensers.

sleep and diet will help with DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). we still dont know exactly what causes this. But if you stick with that routine, i guarantee in a few weeks you will not feel any soreness...just give your body a chance to adapt tot he extra work.

CCS

Reaction score
When I squat heavy, should I go *** to grass, or just upper legs parallel to the ground? Many body building articles say parallel, but I remember Harie saying *** to grass is best. Would someone give some reasons?

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
When I squat heavy, should I go *** to grass, or just upper legs parallel to the ground? Many body building articles say parallel, but I remember Harie saying *** to grass is best. Would someone give some reasons?

we have explained to you before...stopping at parallel is the WORST thing you can do your knees..always go down as far as you can...go watch olympic squatters and watch how far they go down.

When you stop at parallel like that you put a lot of shearing stress on your knee....when you go all the way down all the weight is shifted to your ***, hamstrings and back...they are carrying the load...when you stop half way your knees act like a fulcrum holding the load.

*** to the grass is the correct way to squat.

47thin

Established Member
Reaction score
You should be able to get your body a good circuit 2-3 times per week. Then run. If you run a lot, don't expect to get huge. You can't really get bigger and cut at the same time. Anyway, you shouldn't do so much weight or so many sets that you are sore and ache-y. That no pain, no gain is o.k. for guys using 'roids, but most people tend to over-train, not under-train.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Are there any other muscles the dead lift works that the squat does not?

The deadlift uses almost every muscle in your entire body. Squats don't even come close to the total muscle recruitment that the DL utilizes. Stiff legged deadlifts are the absolute best hamstring exercise (besides GoodMornings) that I've ever done. Done properly and with enough weight, I guarantee you'll feel it the next day. It truely blasts the hell out of your hams.

47thin

Established Member
Reaction score
If you are a skinny, hard gainer, doing a lot of sets is going to over train you, believe me. You need to do a few basics, bench, deadlift and squats for a few months, eat a lot of healthy food, and rest. Take it from a skinny guy.Those long, drawn out Arnold S. workouts are for guys that are already big, trying to get massive. Some guys just look at weights and swell up. Don't clog your arteries with crap, either. Remember, the governor of California can barely walk now, after all the crap he did to his body, let alone run, and he's 60, not 80.

easynow

Established Member
Reaction score
47thin said:
If you are a skinny, hard gainer, doing a lot of sets is going to over train you, believe me. You need to do a few basics, bench, deadlift and squats for a few months, eat a lot of healthy food, and rest. Take it from a skinny guy.Those long, drawn out Arnold S. workouts are for guys that are already big, trying to get massive. Some guys just look at weights and swell up. Don't clog your arteries with crap, either. Remember, the governor of California can barely walk now, after all the crap he did to his body, let alone run, and he's 60, not 80.

what did arnie do exactly? I'm guessing some sort of 70's roids?

http://www.youtube.com/v/iMjG2s6UOaw

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
easynow said:
what did arnie do exactly? I'm guessing some sort of 70's roids?

Dbol & Test-P according to sources. He definitely wasn't as geared up as today's top pro BBers are.