What is the "brain fog" some people talk about?

labrat

Reaction score
"Oh come on, a lot of those side effects sound highly psychological. They could easily be induced by the anxiety of hairloss."

no way. maybe in theory, but from my personal experience the drug does way more than reported.

"Yeah, clearly not everyone gets the mental side effects, but I'm convinced that some people do... and it takes a long time to develop them."

i took it for 1 week from a free sample followed by 1 month.
out of money, i raised funds for a couple months and went back on it for 1 month.... but discontinued because of the side effects (mostly brainfog)

being off the drug i found myself extremely bogged down from low energy.. and i remember thinking, "somethings not right." when i realized this was probably withdrawal, i feared addiction to the drug.

my next run went for 2 months straight, but i finally couldn't take it anymore. i've been off it for a few weeks but my mind hasn't fully returned to home base. i'm fighting my low energy, diminished perception, and lack of proper thought process.

basically i felt the effects with only a few months of use.

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've been on finasteride for a month and the only side i've notice is tireness and lack of energy. I need a cat nap by mid afternoon.

Don't suffer brain fog though and when concentrating on work its no problem..its just this tirednes that kicks in too early in the day instead of at night ..i'm sure it has something to do with the finasteride..hope it will subside to a degree otherwise i'll begin to spend more time alseep than awake.

On the the other hand I cold deal with being more tired than before if my hairloss stops and I get a bit back..still a bit early to get the hair benefit yet...

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I do think it's possible to get brain fog, I might start taking finasteride right before I go to sleep.

SkylineGTR

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i only had a little brain fog when i started it.. like for the first few days. Just a little trouble concentrating. But it went away and I haven't had that problem since and im going on 2 months now.

AussieExperiment

Established Member
Reaction score
That is renowned for being BS

Well I gotta say, after reading a thread on here in the "side effects" forum about depression with Propecia and also being linked to this

http://www.askapatient.com/viewratings. ... ort=gender

That website is renowned for being a load of BS.

Comments like:
"my penis fell off after being on this drug for only 6 months... in its place grew a snake i've got a snake man!"

"Deformation of the penis.The erection has a 90 degree bend! "

"PENIS GOT CROOKED"

"I had moody feeling and felt like i was getting homosexual(gay)"

"i also cant get a proper erection since my penis is too small now"

Yea all sound like plausible side-effects to me. I remember the FDA warning about the possibility that your penis might fall off and that a snake may grow back in its place :)

Man finasteride is one of the most tested drugs on the market. People have been using it for a very long time. A small number of people experience side effects which quite often disappear with time. From all the research I have done, I believe it to be safe to use.

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm experimenting with taking finasteride at nite, sometimes taking it when I got home from work, sometimes right before I go to sleep. I had some days recently where I had a brain fog type of feeling and I had to drink a ton of coffee to function.... I'll continue to monitor.

FWIW I have been eating the same, and going to sleep and getting up at the normal times for me.

dralph01

Reaction score
Propecia gave me panic attacks after two weeks of use. I had to quit using it. It also gave me a caffeine-like buzz to the point that I could not concentrate. When I stopped the Propecia the panic attacks went away. I have read of others who suffered from panic attacks and depression while taking Propecia.

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have never heard of folks having panic attacks, sorry to hear that.

biglemoncoke

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have panic attacks. It stopped when I stop using but hair falls out like crap. Is Dusteride different? I can't scientifically prove it, but based on my personal expereinces, finasteride HAS SIDE EFFECTS.

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think maybe some of those guys on "askapatient" are out of their minds:

"slight loss in sexual desire, homosexual tendencies, and unfounded cravings for beef jerky"

And theres little doubt in my mind that this guy was DEAD SERIOUS

Tallinn

Reaction score
Before my boyfriend started taking this drug we were very happy together and had a very healthy sex life(4-8 times a week). He's been acting cold and distant for weeks (has been on Propecia for 5-6 months) and we've had sex once in the last month. He broke up with me last week because he doesn't feel attracted to me any more (he hasn't slept with anyone else and has masturbated twice in the last month, so it's not just me!). He says he can't think of having sex with anyone at the moment. In addition to the sexual side effects he has become depressed, demotivated and generally unhappy. He says he needs a break from me because he feels completely confused with everything going on in his life and doesn't want to be around other people. Whilst there are other factors which are the underlying problems, he has only been like this since taking Propecia and I strongly believe the medicine is doing this. He is not the same person he was 6 months ago. He thought it was me who had changed but luc well, his hair has stopped falling out, but I think most people would rather be happy and healthy, and have their partner back to normal. Girlfriend of Propecia taker

This is just ridiculous :freak:

RaginDemon

Reaction score
i had brain fog...I was at work and I had problem doing my work.

biglemoncoke

Established Member
Reaction score
Personal experiences: I had Propecia for a year starting Oct 06 to Oct 07. I couldn't say it was the worst times in my life, my physical attractiveness was at a new high. I am Chinese, every girl was complimenting on my jade-white smooth baby face (due to lack of testorone?) and head full of hair. But anxiety sprung up, I didn't feel like talking to anyone, I felt like a b**ch! I was never smiling and was lonely and unhappy. After I stopped, everything changed dramatically, I felt great and had alot of confidence. My hair starts to fall out and I am balding again. Now with my hairline receding, I am looking to start again, but is it really worth it? I am tired of people saying the side effects of propecia are a bunch of horse sh*t. I bet Merck hire them to do that. Because my personal experiences are real, and corporate rat fucks like Merck cannot elude us from the truth. I can't speak for all of Propecia users but my own experience with this drug is have negative effects on my life in the mental side. These legal drugs should be incriminated like Marijuana!

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score
in my opinion propecia is the sh*t. zero sides, but hey thats just my experience.