Reaction score
Symptoms:
Sore scalp
Sudden hairfall since Mid October
small specks of blood and spots near hair root
Hair density decreased all over body
No bald patches
Eyebrows and eyelashes now beginning to fall out

I met with my doctor back in November, She said that it was nothing to be concerned about since it wasn't "serious". BUT she'd book me in for a blood test to check my thyroid since i was really worried. FYI i told her that my dad has hypothyroidism, and my sister has the symptoms so i was worried in case i'd inherited it as well from my dad.

Results came back normal,hair fall still persists however. I went back again, this time to a different doctor.. He wanted to check my ferratin levels, just incase i was anaemic. The results were borderline normal, and he suggested that i should eat more food rich in iron.
Despire this, just a couple of months before my hairfall started, i was on a green smoothie diet. I used to eat really healthy in the summer aswell, by cutting out junk food. I did a diet of 3 pints of green smoothies a day. Shouldn't this have benefited my hair?

My doctor wants me to visit him after my exams are over because he has a feeling it might been Telogen Effluvium from exam stress. But then again, from 2011 to early 2013, I went through waaay more stress than now. There was a lot going on. My hair never fell out during that time so why would it happen over something like exam stress?

It's been 6 months now and although the hair fall has decreased slightly, it's still falling out. The hair that grows back is kinda patchy. Not a bald patchy, but just uneven growth.. is this normal? On my scalp, i do have hairs that are growing but sometimes they fall out. I hate my hairline because some areas have like 10 hairs on them.. Recently my eyebrows and eyelashes have started to fall out as well.

This might help but, my sister went through the same thing at the same age... but she was under way more stress than me, and has all the symptoms for underactive thyroid. Her hair fell out a lot, then stopped but never grew back.

Any advice please? Desperate here :(

UPDATE: Took a shower today, instead of the usual 50 odd hairs falling out, i had about maybe 4 or 5!!
Just generally not a lot of shedding today from my scalp, Although can't say the same about my eyebrows..
I have a feeling this might the effect from the vitamin supplement i've been taking for the past 3 weeks. I hope this lasts..
Fingers crossed!

Attachments

• early stages.jpg
    early stages.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 433
  • Snapshot_20131025.jpg
    Snapshot_20131025.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 408

sachalamp

Established Member
Reaction score
I would assume the green smoothie diet is the main culprit. It's missing a lot of nutrients/vitamins. If you want to eat healthy, just lower fast-food sweets, don't overdo it with draconic cleansing diets.

Also, eating disorders like that are psychological signs of trying to get back control over your life. They usually appear when a stressor you feel you can't handle appears. In your case, school. It's fairly common.