What if I quit propecia

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
If a person quits rogaine, his newly grown hair fall within 6 months, what about propecia - same or more like it stops the clock and when you get off it the clock starts again from around the same time?

what if i'm on Propecia + rogaine, after 1 year I drop rogaine and am still on Propecia..would I lose all rogaine hair?

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well if you stop propecia youre DHT will come back to the same level as before and continue killing youre hair. so it would be like the clock.
If you drop rogain after 1 year.. it will take you about 3 months to lose all rogain hair.

walker8476

Reaction score
If you are on both Propecia and Rogaine and stop Propecia you will loose the hair that Propecia was stopping from falling out and any new hairs that Propecia regrew. If you stop Rogaine you will loose the hair that Rogaine was stopping from falling out and any new hairs that Rogaine regrew.

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
walker8476 said:
If you are on both Propecia and Rogaine and stop Propecia you will loose the hair that Propecia was stopping from falling out and any new hairs that Propecia regrew. If you stop Rogaine you will loose the hair that Rogaine was stopping from falling out and any new hairs that Rogaine regrew.

propecia helps the hair that has been minimised by dht to come back.
DHT is a hair killer, and when you stop propecia or other finasteride medicine, DHT will continue to kill (minimice) the hair on topp of youre head.
Rogain doesnt stop hairloss.. its just makes you grow new hair thats adicted to the minoxidil, when the hair dosnt get any minoxidil (rogain) treatment that its adicted too... it wil simply die.
Sorry but that`s how it works

abcdefg

Reaction score
I wonder why if baldness is a slow gradual process and you lower DHT a lot and keep it lowered say for 5 years why does your hairloss catch up? I dont understand how your hairloss goes back to what it was even though all that time with no DHT attacking it. It doesnt really make sense I guess though DHT as we know isnt close to the whole story.

Jm0311

Reaction score
why do people say they shed because of finasteride? i really really really dont understand that...maybe its all in there head

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
Jojje said:
DHT is a hair killer, and when you stop propecia or other finasteride medicine, DHT will continue to kill (minimice) the hair on topp of youre head.
Rogain doesnt stop hairloss.. its just makes you grow new hair thats adicted to the minoxidil, when the hair dosnt get any minoxidil (rogain) treatment that its adicted too... it wil simply die.

so ideally I should start off with propecia alone? and then later add minoxidil. I tried minoxidil 3 years ago when I was about NW2, quit after 1 month and now i'm NW6 - 3 NWs in 3 years :eek: ...you think its because my hair got 'addicted' to minoxidil?

Phillip

Established Member
Reaction score
abcdefg said:
I wonder why if baldness is a slow gradual process and you lower DHT a lot and keep it lowered say for 5 years why does your hairloss catch up? I dont understand how your hairloss goes back to what it was even though all that time with no DHT attacking it. It doesnt really make sense I guess though DHT as we know isnt close to the whole story.

The smartest question that anyone ever asked right there.

I have thought about the same thing.

If I am not mistaken, i thought i read some place that even if you used propecia for a few years and then quit, you somehow have more hair in the long run than your "identicle self" that didn't. I am probably incorrect though because this goes against the common view on the issue.

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
goata007 said:
Jojje said:

so ideally I should start off with propecia alone? and then later add minoxidil. I tried minoxidil 3 years ago when I was about NW2, quit after 1 month and now i'm NW6 - 3 NWs in 3 years :eek: ...you think its because my hair got 'addicted' to minoxidil?
i alsow used minoxidil 4 years ago, and when i quit i lost alot, but i didnt loose the normal hair.. only the hair that the minoc grew.. its hard to know what is minoxidil hair and what is regular since it looks the same.. so if you use it for a couple of years and then quit.. you realy dont know how much hair will fall off.
I started minoxidil combined with finasterid about 3 1/2 month ago and its working greate in that combination.. i alsow use nizoral/fungoral.

Good luck.

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Phillip said:
abcdefg said:

If I am not mistaken, i thought i read some place that even if you used propecia for a few years and then quit, you somehow have more hair in the long run than your "identicle self" that didn't. I am probably incorrect though because this goes against the common view on the issue.

Well this is how they think it works.. after a couple of years when you have lowered the DHT in youre body the hair gets more sensetive to the DHT that is left in youre body and slowly starts killing again.
And hair is alsow sensitiv to Testosterone.. and will in some cases die out from that as well. And if you use finasterid for 5 years and you have gained some you probably will have youre hair longer.. but maibe not too much since the hairloss will get more agressive with the sudden high levels of DHT that comes back.

Pondle

Reaction score
Jojje said:
Phillip said:
abcdefg said:

Well this is how they think it works.. after a couple of years when you have lowered the DHT in youre body the hair gets more sensetive to the DHT that is left in youre body and slowly starts killing again.
And hair is alsow sensitiv to Testosterone.. and will in some cases die out from that as well. And if you use finasterid for 5 years and you have gained some you probably will have youre hair longer.. but maibe not too much since the hairloss will get more agressive with the sudden high levels of DHT that comes back.

That's right male pattern baldness is a progressive condition, but how long finasteride will "work" for seems to be a moot point. Someone else posted the following in another thread. I saved it because it's of interest, but I apologise that I can't attribute it to the author:

You have, for example, a hypothetical drug that gives 9 in 10 guys all their back in 12 months and after those 12 months they keep (or maintain in our hairloss jargon) that full head of hair for life. But in 1 guy it does nothing. In this case average haircounts will shoot up in the first year, because hairgain from those nine guys is much greater than the hairloss of the other 1. But once they have their full head of hair, there is no more hairgain. At this point the 1 non-responder will start to drag the average haircount down again.

Basically I'm saying that unless you have a product that minimally maintains hair for 100% of it's users, there will always be a time when hairloss outweighs hairgain and thus average haircounts decrease. I'm not saying Propecia works forever, but you can't tell from those trial results that it's effectiveness decreases either. The only way to find out is to take the drug and see how it works for you.

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yes pondle, the last was just what would happend if he quit finasteride after the 5 year mark.. dont know wy anyone would want to do that if it works ... :lol:

kim jong il

Reaction score
if you quit finasteride (and in my case even reduce the dose) you catch up within months to where you would have been. see my prior posts