what happens to the remaining hair?

canigia

Reaction score
I am thinking of having a transplant but I have some concerns: 1) my hair are quite thick but I have lost quite a lot in the front. my hairline looks like jude laws if that helps. in other words wherever I have hair they look just fine, but the situation with my hairline is slowly getting worst 9 (norwood scale 2). don't want to end up like jack nikolson. what will happen to the rest of my hair (which are healthy) if i put more hair on? a dermatologist told me that there is danger if you do a hair transplant the rest of the hair can fall.do you agree? 2) i am only 22. i know that i have a hair loss problem and i really need to do something about it. i' ve been on minoxidil for 4 years. do you think that my age isn't good for a hair transplant? i just looking for some opinions. thanks. great forum really.

Vanity

Reaction score
Im new too...best advice read all the posts and you'll get a lot of answers

acfava

Reaction score
yea im 22 also, im like a Norwood 2-3. only have recession, no loss in crown. most docs wont do a strip procedure on a guy our age. but fue? maybe. its tru, if u havent halted ur hairloss and u get a hair transplant, u most likely will continue losing. that means you'd have to keep gettin small sessions done to fill in the bald areas... so i guess it comes down to cash flow, and rate of hairloss. if u got the cash and have been losing awhile like 6 or more years, then maybe fue is a possibility.

Cassin

Reaction score
acfava said:
yea im 22 also, im like a Norwood 2-3. only have recession, no loss in crown. most docs wont do a strip procedure on a guy our age. but fue? maybe. its tru, if u havent halted ur hairloss and u get a hair transplant, u most likely will continue losing. that means you'd have to keep gettin small sessions done to fill in the bald areas... so i guess it comes down to cash flow, and rate of hairloss. if u got the cash and have been losing awhile like 6 or more years, then maybe fue is a possibility.

I would like to introduce you to the word "you" instead of "u".

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=you

Thank YOU for your time in reading this.

Basketballhead

Established Member
Reaction score
What your doctor was referring to is known as shock loss which occurs when new hair follicles from the donor area are transplanted into an area of existing hair growth. ALthough you may lost this hair due to shockloss IT WILL GROW BACK.

Im 21 and am considering some similar hair transplant options. YOur best bet is to get on a stable regimen (which youll have to be on anyways if you get an hair transplant for the rest of your life to maintain and halt hairloss). It sucks that doctors are so reluctant to perform on us young guys. We're the ones who need it the most going bald in your early 20's is miserable.

Basketballhead

Established Member
Reaction score
After doing some research on shock loss I am now under the impression that hair affected by shock loss does not grow back to its original state. Instead that hair may grow back weaker and thinner which means that young men with a decent amount of hair on their head risk making their hairloss worse by getting a hair transplant at a young age. Anyone have any insight into this?

hairnow

Reaction score
Sometimes you get shock loss, sometimes you don't. Sometimes it grows back sometimes it doesn't. Count on looking like crap for 6-8 months after your procedure. Some people don't believe that. I've been on the boards three years and I've had two surgeries. I've seen the non-believers flip out after their procedures because they just didn't believe they'd look so f'd up.

It's not bad if you prepare yourself mentally. Have toppik or Dermamatch on hand to fill-in (or one of the other cosmetic products). If you're light skinned, you may get a great deal of redness. Make-up or tanning lotion helps cover it up.

Try not to do a lot of small procedures unless you're doing fue/fit. Repeated surgeries mean more risk of bad scarring and more transection of donor hair (if you're getting strip surgery this is an issue, not so with Fue/FIT which is okay for multiple surgeries).

Also, the larger the procedure the cheaper it gets. The savings are substantial. A typical cost structure for strip might be around 4.50 - 5.50 per graft up to 1500 then drop to $2-$3/graft for above that amount in one procedure. So, lets say you had 5 procedures of 600 grafts at $5 per graft. That's $15,000.00 for 3000 grafts. But if you get 3000 grafts in one procedure, $5 for the first 1500 and 2.50 per graft for the rest, the total cost drops to 11,250.00 The cost differences start to really add up in a big way.

Also remember, since it takes 10 months to a year to feel good about how you're looking after surgery, you don't want five procedures. Five procdures would add up to 2/12 - 4 years of your life post surgery thinking your head looks like sh**t while you are waiting for things to normalize. If you think you're uncomfortable with how you look now, wait 'til you're waiting for your hair to grow back after surgery.

Last thought: remember, once you start hairtransplants, you will be committed to more procedures if you keep losing hair. If you are in your twenties and already think you need surgery, count on it. You will almost surely continue to lose hair and need more surgeries.

I'm cranking all this out at warp speed during a quick break from the job, so I'm skipping many important subtleties, exceptions and caveats. There are also legitmate differences of opinion about age at time of first surgery and fue/versus strip that you should spend a great deal of time reading up on. But, these are some important, very general observations IMO. It's a real son-of-a-b**ch to live with the wrong decision, so educate yourself and take your time deciding.

Good luck,

Hairnow