what exactly happens with diffuse thinning

Crippler

Reaction score
does it mean every 2nd hair falls and creates the appearnce of thinning hair or is it that every hair just becomes thinning and the number of hairs stay the same?

ShedMaster

Reaction score
diffuse thinning from my understanding, is that you are losing hair from all over your head, instead of the traditional receding hairline or just losing up top creating a bald spot.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Crippler said:
does it mean every 2nd hair falls and creates the appearnce of thinning hair or is it that every hair just becomes thinning and the number of hairs stay the same?

I may be wrong but:

You know how hairs don't grow in a uniformly spaced arrangement but rather seem to be in lots of little clumps (unless it's just me), well in diffuse thinning these clumps gradually lose their hairs through miniaturization, starting with the outer most ones, and this leads to the diffuse appearance.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
diffused: spread out

Diffused thinning thats not male pattern baldness related happens all over the scalp. Diffused male pattern baldness happens all over the top of the head, where men go bald. It doesnt happen to all hairs at once, but in a generally random way.

odb

Established Member
Reaction score
I would say that there are 2 types of diffuse thinning. one that can be due to stress, illness. medication or diet ect, If you have that type of hairloss you can thin anywhere on your head, above one ear for example. But this thinning will reverse itself with time.

There is also a male pattern baldness diffuse thinning, thats when you thin all over the top of your head but your hairline is more or less intact. If you have this kind of thinning you should use the standard treatments (finasteride/MIN/nizoral)

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
StartaFartBlast got it right.

Diffuse thinning is the overall visual perception of less hair on the head due to the process of miniaturization. Meaning, hairs affected by DHT are growing in thinner, and less pigmented, and in some cases, stay in dormancy phase for longer.

This results in an overall visual appearance of less hair.

HairLossTalk.com