What Else can Shedding be...

bigd

Reaction score
OK, I thought my shedding was done.

But this morning, I shed a massive amount of hair, not sure why, doctors really are no help.

Does anyone have any experiences with shedding on and off for months and months.

Did you loose all your hair, did it come back, were you on anything, what was diagnosed.

It's just really frustrating, to shed shed & shed and their is nothing I can do about it. I've heard that popecia shouldnt be started till after you are done shedding, Well at this rate, I'll have nothing to save.

Please help.

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
ok...here we go again.

it is perfectly normal to shed upto 100/150 hair a day. male pattern baldness is when your regrowth is not in tune with your loss and your scalp gets visable bit by bit.

is your hairloss visable? is your hair diameter thinner than before?..are you thinning in an male pattern baldness pattern? as in can you relate to the norwood charts? losing hair at the vertex? front or temples?...receding hairline or is your hairloss diffuse throughout the scalp including sides and back.are you losing short tapered hair? (hair that thins towards the other end and not the bulb) you need to post pictures before anybody can help.

and what you heard about not taking propecia during a shed is incorrect. thats just because people are afraid of the treatment induced shedding and feel it'll make things worse. you can take finasteride anytime you want. you might not even go through the shed. and the hair you shed regrows ..even if it regrows thinner due to male pattern baldness. its not gone forever, its gonna come back.

start off on finasteride asap...you're just wasting time, and if you shed a whole lot more on finasteride it doesnt matter, that hair will grow back thicker and stronger. its just a jolt that your follicles recieve from treatment and in order to regrow another hair they ditch the old one.

relax and start on a low dosage of finasteride. but please make sure its male pattern baldness you have before you do. visit a derm or at least post pictures.

bigd

Reaction score
Hey SirLag, thanks for the reply.

I saw a derm, first she said Telogen Effluvium, then male pattern baldness, then both, then neither (no sh*t). She said to wait for three months and then make an assesment to see if I see. But I feel like in three months it'll be worth.

My gripe is this, I know people shed, but I am shedding all over, healthy dark thick hairs, And lots of it, I just never shed like this b4 until four months ago. I had heard that male pattern baldness is a progressive process, not something that happens in 4 months. Basically when I run my hands through my hair, it looks like I ran it through a dogs coat, just lots of it, too much of it.

You said "start on a low dosage of finasteride. but please make sure its male pattern baldness you have before you do."

Thats my issue is it male pattern baldness, if it is, then I will start, no problems, like .5 mg a day or 1 every other day and see what happens. But what happens if I take it and it's not male pattern baldness?

Also, propecia seems to have a good/bad following on this board, it works for some, for others it's a nightmare. Just want to keep what I have.

chew

Established Member
Reaction score
i am taking .5 mg/day now and am in the same boat. i ahve been told that taking propecia wont cause any problems...i still don't know if i had Telogen Effluvium or male pattern baldness or both though.

in my case it is a lot of shedding (200-350 in a day) and it is all over. It has gotten to the point where the scalp is more noticable, but not in any of the norwood patterns, just all over. it did take way less than a year for me to go from full head to this.

i have been on the propecia, good vitamins and xandrox (mionox) for about 5 or 6 weeks now...i'll post again and let you know if it has done anything for me in about another 5 or 6 weeks (i figure about 4 months ought to show something).

i don't know if this helps, but maybe it does comiserate.

and check the things legalot mentioned. in my case there has been no thinning of the individual hairs, just a lot of them falling out all over...but it has been going on for 10 or 11 months now...so Telogen Effluvium or male pattern baldness...mystery to me.

I am trying something now though, since it seems that if it is Telogen Effluvium--it'll go away and doing a little now won't hurt. If it is male pattern baldness it'll get worse if I do nothing...

bigd

Reaction score
Chew thanks for the post. Sorry to hear you've been experiencing the same thing, it can make you crazy to litterally see debris fall out of head in massive amounts.

Yours seems like a lot as well, did you go to the dr did they say anything.

My point being is that I've read that if it is Telogen Effluvium, the propecia won't really matter.

I am going to another derm next monday, and get a final opinion then make my move.