What else can I do to slow down my loss

Isneezedsohard

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
LONG TIME lurker. First time poster. So I just recently got my blood work done. I’m currently on Dutasteride, RU, topical min, micro needle, castor oil, alfatridiol, and a bunch of supplements. My results came back:
Test (serum): 474 ng/dl (avg)
Test (free): 8.4 pg/ml (low)
DHT (free): 3.5 ng/dl (low)

obviously I have CRUSHED my dht (avg is 30-85 ng/dl), yet I’m still losing. What could be going on here? All advice appreciated. Thank you so much for your time.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
LONG TIME lurker. First time poster. So I just recently got my blood work done. I’m currently on Dutasteride, RU, topical min, micro needle, castor oil, alfatridiol, and a bunch of supplements. My results came back:
Test (serum): 474 ng/dl (avg)
Test (free): 8.4 pg/ml (low)
DHT (free): 3.5 ng/dl (low)

obviously I have CRUSHED my dht (avg is 30-85 ng/dl), yet I’m still losing. What could be going on here? All advice appreciated. Thank you so much for your time.
What’s your age you started losing?
How long have you been doing that regimen?
How bad is this losing ground? Is it obvious recession/thinning or a few hairs here and there?

Isneezedsohard

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What’s your age you started losing?
How long have you been doing that regimen?
How bad is this losing ground? Is it obvious recession/thinning or a few hairs here and there?
Thanks for your speedy response! You guys are awesome! Started noticing my loss around 22 (I’m 26 now). My whole dads side of the family is bald, my moms dad was bald, and one of my brothers is rapidly diffuse thinning. I’m a diffuse thinner too, about a Norwood 2 right now. I can still cover it all up pretty well, but my shedding is pretty bad, and I’m still miniaturizing, as far as I can tell. I was on finasteride for 3 years or so! Worked like a f*****g miracle for 2 years, but then hair loss started again, so I switched to 0.5 Dutasteride about 6 months ago!

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your speedy response! You guys are awesome! Started noticing my loss around 22 (I’m 26 now). My whole dads side of the family is bald, my moms dad was bald, and one of my brothers is rapidly diffuse thinning. I’m a diffuse thinner too, about a Norwood 2 right now. I can still cover it all up pretty well, but my shedding is pretty bad, and I’m still miniaturizing, as far as I can tell. I was on finasteride for 3 years or so! Worked like a f*****g miracle for 2 years, but then hair loss started again, so I switched to 0.5 Dutasteride about 6 months ago!

Hmm, you do seem to have aggressive hair loss. But if you’ve cut out DHT and you’re also blocking any other androgens with RU, you should be fine. Sometimes dutasteride take a while to kick in for hair loss. Did you switch cold turkey from finasteride?

Here’s what could be happening:

1) A shed from changing medications, which may last a while
2) Your problem is less related to androgen levels and more related to androgen sensitivity in your follicles. You may need to up your RU dose. What’s your dosage now?
3) Your problem isn’t androgens.

I doubt it’s 3 since you have strong family history of balding. I think it’s probably 1. Some people lose a lot initially from dutasteride, but overtime they recover from the shed and start maintaining.

Isneezedsohard

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I did dutasteride 3 x a week for about a month! Then switched to everyday. I’m still waiting it out! Hair loss is such a b**ch! Lol. I will keep an eye on things! I’m just at a loss (no pun intended) as I feel like I’m doing everything short of adding in spironolactone (which I’m never touching). My next step is switching to low dose oral min to try and offset the loss! But I’m hoping I don’t have to resort to that!