What does a hair effected by DHT look like?

Autumn Sundown

Established Member
Reaction score
I would like to get my hair mapped for miniaturization, and some day I will, but I don't have a way to pay for it right now. I've been doing anything I can to calm my nerves about this.

I'm 18 and have a mature hairline, although I would still consider it a NW1. My temples don't recede much, but they're very rounded. It looks exactly like my maternal grandfather's hairline looked at my age (all my hair characteristics seem to be identicle to his.) His temples seemed to recede very slowly over his 20's, but never made it past a NW2 in his 75 year long life.

I don't shed much, but all the hairs I do shed seem to be very thick and normal looking on the side that came from my head (the side with the bulb) but most get thin and come to a sharp point on the other end. Some are long, but some are very short, even the length of an eyelash. All the hairs are the same thickness near the bottom part with the bulb. I check every hair I can find after it's been shed, every single one is either thick all the way through, or thick on the end with the bulb, then begin to go into a sharp point somewhere near tip of the other end.

I always figured if a hair was effected by DHT it would be thinner on the part that came from my head, but I really want to make sure. I've always seen the hairs that were thinner on the end that's been grown out to be damaged or broken hair.

The only thing that freaked me out lately was a tiny pimple I got on the left corner of my forelock. I've had the occasional pimple on my forehead before, this one was just a little higher up than usual. What freaked me out about it though was the one very curly, long, thick, kinky looking hair that came from it. I ripped it out and inspected it, and it was very thick all the way through.
A curly/kinky hair coming from a pimple near my hairline isn't very reassuring to me, I want to know how to check for hairs that are being effected by DHT.

To add a bit more information, no one on my mom's side goes past a NW2, although they do tend to recede early. The men on my dad's side begin to lose it in their early 20's, although my dad held onto just a slightly receded hairline and tiny bald spot until his mid 30's without trying to slow down or halt his loss.

DHTHater

Established Member
Reaction score
You're paranoid. Stop reading, and start living. When male pattern baldness comes, you'll know it. There won't be any ambiguity.

DHT affected hair generally loses color (not always), and will be much thinner than other hairs if it is towards it's last male pattern baldness cycle, meaning if DHT has bound to androgen receptors around the follicle, the growth phase of that hair is choked of life, so each time it goes through a normal hair phase of growth, idle, shed, and regrowth (as all normal hair does over the course of 3 to 9 months), in male pattern baldness it progressively comes back smaller each time it regrows until finally it's nothing, The last hair you would see would be a wimpy, weak hair shaft that looked the width of lint.

NW1's need to go live life, and save worrying about hair products for when it matters. Don't stress the things outside of your control. It's a waste of life energy.