What do you want to see in a shed?

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
When you shed, is it better to see really thin hairs? Or is it better to see thick hairs?

I'm going through a shed now I believe. How long until it's over? I see more and more hairs in my palm each day, it's killing me.

BALD IS BEAUTIFUL

Established Member
Reaction score
person_123 said:
When you shed, is it better to see really thin hairs? Or is it better to see thick hairs?

I'm going through a shed now I believe. How long until it's over? I see more and more hairs in my palm each day, it's killing me.
currently i am also going through heavy shedding ,seeing thin and thick hair 50-50.I had been through this type of shedding before and it lasts for four to six week .Do not worry about it.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
Big shed myself ATM. seeing thick and thin desert my head like rats from a sinking ship. Never had one of these before as I had only used finasteride or dutasteride in the past and not minoxidil which seems to be the culprit. Then again I have hairs sprouting out of my cheekbones so I feel fairly confident its doing something hair promoting. Its fairly scary though, expecially as the scalp begins to show more easily up there and I cant help thinking "there isn't much more to shed goddamiit!"
Anyway I guess its good to see thin hairs shed if only cos it means you will be losing less density in the interim before whatever regrowth if any takes place. Wheras a thick hair is probably going to be replaced with another thick hair a thin hair shed holds the promise of a thicker hair replacing it. The idea of a "positive shed" is that it is kicking hairs out of telogen and into anagen so that hairs that were hanging about doing nothing are suddenly active. But that period between the old hair leaving and the new one showing up is not much fun.
hh

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes I am am finally seeing a shed, for the first time since I started treatment 3 months ago there are many hairs on my pillow again each morning, the area that I am treating with minoxidil is starting to look allround thinner after 3 weeks of application but luckily the foam is still making the hair easier to style and I'm still just about getting away with it. This is definately where patience and faith in the treatments come in. :)

RP

Established Member
Reaction score
This is definately where faith in the treatment comes in.

Exactly! And I would strongly recommend not to panic. It took me almost half a year before the treatment started to kick in.

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
RP: do you mean it took 6 months after your shed? or 6 months from the start of treatment for you to get regrowth?

Whenever I shower now, I notice heaps of hairs. It's scary. Each time I run my hands through I can get about 5 hairs on average. Meaning each shower, if I run through 20 times, I might lose 100 hairs.

It doesn't happen as much when my scalp is dry, but I'm sure I'd be losing some hairs everywhere.

astro6969

Reaction score
shed

Me too I am shedding so much on thoose days. Each shower I find like 20 hairs on my hands. They all look broked and not very nice hair.

I went to minoxidil 5% from 2% like 2 months ago. Also trying new product named NUTRICAP et HAIR 4 LIFE (search on google for thoose if you want more information) and MSN since almost a month now.

The hairs that falls are 75% very thin and 25% medium thin, this let me hope that my hair will grow back but this is very scary though.

I have been loosing my hair (and using minoxidil 2%) for 5 years and I have never shed like this.

I will see in 3 months (it's long) how it goes, if there's a regrowth. Until that, I will try not to freak out !

BALD IS BEAUTIFUL

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: shed

astro6969 said:
Me too I am shedding so much on thoose days. Each shower I find like 20 hairs on my hands. They all look broked and not very nice hair.

I went to minoxidil 5% from 2% like 2 months ago. Also trying new product named NUTRICAP et HAIR 4 LIFE (search on google for thoose if you want more information) and MSN since almost a month now.

The hairs that falls are 75% very thin and 25% medium thin, this let me hope that my hair will grow back but this is very scary though.

I have been loosing my hair (and using minoxidil 2%) for 5 years and I have never shed like this.

I will see in 3 months (it's long) how it goes, if there's a regrowth. Until that, I will try not to freak out !
can you see the bulbs of broken hair? If yes,then it is good sign of effectiveness of minoxidil.

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
In the past, I ran my fingers through my hair and lost one or two each time.

After I used Propecia, this didn't happen for a long time.

Now it is happening again. What is going on? If I used to shed, and Propecia stopped it, what does this mean? Is this the routine shed cycle? Or is it I'm starting to bald severely?

astro6969

Reaction score

[/quote]
can you see the bulbs of broken hair? If yes,then it is good sign of effectiveness of minoxidil.[/quote]

I can see a small bulb, yes, but not always. Let say like 50% of the time. Why do you say it's a good sign ? If the bulb goes out, that means that I don't have it any more on my scalp so nothin will growth back ??

BALD IS BEAUTIFUL

Established Member
Reaction score

astro6969 said:
I can see a small bulb, yes, but not always. Let say like 50% of the time. Why do you say it's a good sign ?

There is greater chance of hair going through a telogen phase due to effect of 5% of minoxidil. As you can see in picture, in telogen phase the hair comes out with a bulb.
hair cycle
2eocf2v.jpg

astro6969 said:
If the bulb goes out, that means that I don't have it any more on my scalp so nothin will growth back ??

Have you gone through any harsh treatment on hair like hair straightening etc? Harsh treatments can increase the possibility of hair breakage. If the shedding is initiated by minoxidil then the flaked hair grows with increase diameter. Read the sticky post by moderator. Picture 1 shows the effect of dht on hair follicle, after every shedding cycle dht causes hair follicles to shrink therefore resulting in fine hairs. But if you are on propecia (finasteride) and minoxidil then these causes the reverse of dht effects on hair follicles as shown in picture 2.minoxidil has a local effect that means, it is only effective on the portion of scalp where it is applied but propecia takes care of whole scalp. Nizoral 1% shampoo increases hair count, shaft diameter and maybe also hair number. Therefore it is advised to take big three together for better results because they are proven drugs to fight baldness.
So don’t worry about shedding, just keep yourself composed and take your medicine regularly .hope for best. :lol:

picture 1
4byf87d.jpg

picture 2
42ieccx.jpg

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
If you tug at your hair with some force, and hairs fall out, would those hairs have fallen out anyway? I occasionally tug at my hair and find it extremely upsetting if a few hairs come out. I know I probably shouldn't tug at it in the first place, but there are a few days where I just can't help it. Should I stop this? Is it making my hair loss worse? Or would I lose these hairs soon anyway? By these hairs falling out, does it mean I'm shedding? Or are these hairs being forcefully removed?

Will new hairs start growing from those areas if they were pulled out? Or does regrowth only occur at naturally shed areas?

BALD IS BEAUTIFUL

Established Member
Reaction score
person_123 said:
If you tug at your hair with some force, and hairs fall out, would those hairs have fallen out anyway? I occasionally tug at my hair and find it extremely upsetting if a few hairs come out. I know I probably shouldn't tug at it in the first place, but there are a few days where I just can't help it. Should I stop this? Is it making my hair loss worse? Or would I lose these hairs soon anyway? By these hairs falling out, does it mean I'm shedding? Or are these hairs being forcefully removed?

Will new hairs start growing from those areas if they were pulled out? Or does regrowth only occur at naturally shed areas?

Occasionally tugging is not a problem, the flaked hair will grow definitely. I have seen a documentary on Japanese geisha (negative term synonymous to Prostitute ) on discovery channel. Most of these women suffer from permanent crown baldness because they tuck and tug artificial hair piece with their locks. :lol: