what do you guys think of this workout routine?

muaythai187

Established Member
Reaction score
The Routine

The basic concept of this routine is simple - lower body one day with upper body being trained the next day followed by a rest day. Then repeat this again and take the weekend off.

The 4 day Split

DAY 1 (Monday): Lower body/static ab work/obliques

DAY 2 (Tuesday): Upper body and trunk flexion (movements initiated from the rib cage)

DAY 4 (Thursday): Lower body, static ab work/obliques

DAY 5 (Friday): Upper body and trunk flexion (movements initiated from the hips)

The Exercises

Note: Click here for video clips of each exercise)

Day 1 - Lower Body/Abs

Front Squat/Back Squat

Alternating Lunges

Good Mornings

Standing Calve Raises

Diagonal Cable Wood Chops

Planks

Day 2 - Upper Body

Straight Arm Pull Downs

Flat Bench Press/Dumbbell Chest Press

Standing Dumbbell Shoulder Press

Dips

Variation of Standing Biceps Curls

Swiss Ball Cable Crunches

Day 4 - Lower Body

Deadlifts

Step Ups

Pull Through

Seated Calve Raises

Walk Outs

Side Planks

Day 5 - Upper Body

Chin Ups/ Modified Pull Ups

Seated Wide Grip Cable Row/One Arm Dumbbell Rows

Push Ups (variations)

Scaption

Dumbbell Skull Crushers

Leg Raises

Loading Parameters

Weeks 1-4

Day 1/4- Lower Body
Number of sets per exercise: 6
Loads: 65-75% of 1RM
Rest: 1 minute
Reps: 5-8
Day 2/5 - Upper Body
Number of sets per exercise: 6
Loads: 65-75% of 1RM
Rest: 1 minute
Reps: 5-8
Weeks 5-9

Day 1/4 - Lower Body

Number of sets per exercise: 3-4
Loads: 75 –80% of 1RM
Rest: 2 minutes
Reps: 10-12
Day 2/ 5 - Upper Body

Number of sets per exercise: 3-4
Loads: 75 -80% of 1RM
Rest: 2 minutes
Reps: 10-12
Week 10-14

Day 1/4- Lower Body

Number of sets per exercise: 2-3
Loads: 80-85% of 1RM
Rest: 2-3 minutes
Reps: 8-10
Day 2/5 - Upper Body

Loads: 80-85% of 1RM
Rest: 2-3 minutes
Reps: 8-10
Week 15-19

Day 1/4- Lower Body

Loads: 85-90% of 1RM
Rest: 3 minutes
Reps: 6
Day 2/5 - Upper Body

Loads: 85-90% of 1RM
Rest: 3 minutes
Reps: 6

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wait, you mean you're going to work your lower body too? Isn't that breaking some sort of rule in bodybuilding? I never see anyone except me squatting, so I always thought it was outlawed or something. lol

Not too shabby mauythai. A bit too many total sets for my taste, but good exercise selection.

muaythai187

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Harie there's never a rule in bodybuilding but the keyword is having great results. It's all about experimenting different techniques that will increase your muscle mass and power. Then again I'm the type of person that changes routine every couple months having desame routine gets too boring for me in training.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
muaythai187 said:
Hey Harie there's never a rule in bodybuilding

I was joking...Was just shocked to see someone that squats. At my gym, there's me and 1 other person that squat.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
muaythai187 said:
Tell me about it harrie, my gym is full of big chested males with chicken legs.

Ah, the classic light bulb look. That's what I call the people that have HUGE chest/triceps/biceps, but stick legs. I didn't put back in there because that's not a popular one to work either it seems.

CCS

Reaction score
I don't have chicken legs. My legs are strong. Stronger than my knees can handle. I don't know how much I could squat if my knees did not give out.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
I don't have chicken legs. My legs are strong. Stronger than my knees can handle. I don't know how much I could squat if my knees did not give out.

I thought the problem was your back?

If your knees give out, your legs are not strong.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score

if youve never squatted....you wont be able to squat much at first...i dont care how much you run or bike...its totally different.

And im talking about *** to the grass squats not the 1/4 squats that most people do....they are not easy.

CCS

Reaction score
Harie said:

knees are joints. They are cartillage. That has nothing to do with muscle strength. You can do squats, bulk big legs, and then get hit in the knees with a baseball bat, and still have strong legs.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
Harie said:

knees are joints. They are cartillage. That has nothing to do with muscle strength. You can do squats, bulk big legs, and then get hit in the knees with a baseball bat, and still have strong legs.

yes, however your ligaments can become stronger just like muscles...its just the ligaments get stronger a lot SLOWER than muscles do...thats why roid users get injured a lot...their ligaments are not strong enough to support their muscles