what causes finasteride sides?

brentx

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on Finasteride now for almost 20 months with excellent results.

Over the last few months I've been thinking more about sides (I blame the internet).

Though I can't say that I've had any sides at all, I do acknowledge that finasteride has made my jizz watery, though not always. I have also had OCCASIONAL (totally random, "a couple of times a year" type thing) bouts of low libido, soft erections, anxiety (more often), mood swings (more often), brain fog, and testicular pain (more often), but I suspect these things to be all part of the normal ups and downs of most men's lives, as they all existed BEFORE I start treatment. They've not really been serious..

However, let's say (theoretically) that I was SURE that my problems were caused by Finasteride. What exactly causes these things?

Here are my guesses:

Watery jizz & testicular pain - low DHT in the testicles?

Low libido, soft erections, anxiety, mood swings - with lower DHT the body compensates by elevating T, much of which is converted to estrogen, leading to competition with T for the receptor sites. Not necessarily low T, just high E?

Brain fog - no idea, same as above?

I'm pretty hopeful I'll get some good responses here. If anyone is is confident that they know what they're talking about, please post.

brentx

Established Member
Reaction score
Nobody knows anything?

I'll try a different angle on this..

Many people who gets sides complain of low T, but all the research points to finasteride actually raising T, whilst lowering DHT.

Any ideas on how finasteride would cause low T, therefore low libido, erection problems, etc.?

brentx

Established Member
Reaction score
Are you kidding? I've been reading this forum for almost 2 years..

Every, single, tiny, thread on this forum is filled with comments like, "Finasteride raises T by roughly 10%".

However, come into the side effects sub-forum, and everyone is saying, "OMFG I've got low T from finasteride!"

Additionally, a lot of people mention watery jizz, aching balls, and brain fog, but after almost 2 years of reading this forum, I realise that I don't really know what causes these things. Estrogen (caused by the extra T aromatasing into E)? Low T (even though finasteride apparently raises it)? Low DHT (obvious)?

Am I crazy? Have these things really been covered?

brentx

Established Member
Reaction score
I call BS..

But I'll scan through the forum anyway looking for the answer that you seem to not know..

Thanks mod for all the lovely help ;-)

Cassin

Reaction score
You call BS on what exactly? Why getting so aggressive?

There is countless threads discussing this...I never said it was lock solid solved. But some of the answers are here over and over and over.

The only reason I even stepped in is because of your "nobody knows anything" comment and I was trying to help you by encouraging you to look closer. There is even a thread close by that explains half of your post.

geez...some people get upset no matter what you do....

brentx

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was an a**h** in the last post, my apologies..

No, but you're right, there are other threads that discuss some aspects of what I was getting at.

I just thought this could be a good thread bringing all that info together. I was wrong :-(

Sorry again, you're doing a good job, and I was pretty drunk when I wrote my last reply!