what are the chances of rapid male pattern baldness with a 17 year old

Equal Rights

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If its 200+ hairs in a daily shower then its a little high. Wait and see if this persists, go to your GP get blood work done and maybe a trichoscopy/trichogram to make sure its Androgenetic Alopecia. If it is, then welcome to the club.

To answer your question, yes it is entirely possible to be rapidly balding at 17. Me and many others on this forum have been in the same situation. Personally, i didn't pay attention to it until my friends told me i had an M shaped hairline and was balding lol, which was at 17. I most likely started to bald at 16. Whatever treatments you think of undergoing dont go on finasteride this early. At very least until you are 18, maybe 20.

dudealpha

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly I’m hoping it’s alopecia but if I shampoo my hair I lose 200+ thick hairs, I wake up with 30+ on the pillow and notice one has fallen off about every 10 mins.

I have some recession and miniaturisation at the hairline/ temples but the overall density is now dreadful. 6 months ago people would compliment me on how thick my hair was (ironic) :)

Oh and none grow back
The chances are LOW. BUUUT IT DEFINITELY CAN HAPPEN.
In high school, I had a classmate with a Norwood VI at 16 years old. Here's the pic (he's 17 in this pic, he has crown thinning as well):

Attachments

• aaaa.jpg
    aaaa.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 87

lonelypanda

My Regimen
Reaction score
The chances are LOW. BUUUT IT DEFINITELY CAN HAPPEN.
In high school, I had a classmate with a Norwood VI at 16 years old. Here's the pic (he's 17 in this pic, he has crown thinning as well):
now that is what i call being dealt a shitty hand goddamn man i feel for him

iCloud

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For some people with a strong genetic predisposition, the hair loss starts as soon as they hit puberty (been there, done that).

dudealpha

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A bit of a backstory about my friend: I talked with him about our mutual problem, hair loss, even though mine is 100x less aggressive than his; he said he simply doesn't care. I even buzzed my hair before quarantine and showed up at school, but he didn't want to shave his head. So basically this isn't an active problem in his life, or at least not one that he wanted to confess to me... I told him about finasteride and mino and all this stuff, but he said he doesn't care and tbh I think that's the best approach when you get dealt such a bad hand with hair.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Some people have a true understanding of how serious hair loss is in their lives. In the grand scheme of things you care you about your looks which is why we hate this. But the insightful few know that looks are fleeting and don’t matter in the long run