what are my chances? propecia users plz

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
guys

sorry to draw attention to my own situation but im really concerned at the moment. ive been on propecia 4 months and dont know whats happening/what will happen to my hair. its been ripping me up lately and is quite a big concern seeing as im one of those young, quick diffuse thinners.

as i said before, i shed from a few weeks after i started finasteride, for about a month. at month 2 1/2 im sure i saw regrowth..after a haircut my hair was visibly much thicker and moresome in the mirror. could this have been something other than regrowth? something to do with hairs in the telogen phase or something? i want to believe its regrowth, and i was sure at the time it was, but im starting to doubt it after ive now been losing for a while.

since that 2 1/2 month mark, ive been thinning a fair bit 1) at the hairline, 2) diffusely in a large circle around the crown, and 3) on top of the head, to the left and right hand sides. on top in the middle seems to be ok in thickness somehow.

what do you think my chances are of regrowth? i know its hard to say at only 4 months, but the propecia website says results can be seen at 3 months. and i swear i saw regrowth at 2 1/2 months. if i had that one spate of regrowth, is it likely that il have another? or just continue losing? anyone else had similar patterns/phases of shedding? please could anyone out there who can answer any of these questions let me know, i know its hazy but im just looking for some shred of certainty in this blurry world of hairloss. its amazing how much added confidence some regrowth can give you..at least it means your hairs going in the opposite direction and it helps you deal with shedding later..unless it goes on too long.

sucks losing hair at summer eh, the sun shining right through to your scalp. one things for sure though, when im back at university il get a good haircut and hit the gym, books and clubs hard. good luck to you all. il stop ranting.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
youngguy_uk said:
sorry to draw attention to my own situation but im really concerned at the moment. ive been on propecia 4 months and dont know whats happening/what will happen to my hair. its been ripping me up lately and is quite a big concern seeing as im one of those young, quick diffuse thinners.

as i said before, i shed from a few weeks after i started finasteride, for about a month. at month 2 1/2 im sure i saw regrowth..after a haircut my hair was visibly much thicker and moresome in the mirror. could this have been something other than regrowth? something to do with hairs in the telogen phase or something? i want to believe its regrowth, and i was sure at the time it was, but im starting to doubt it after ive now been losing for a while.
Regrowth and recycling in and new stimulated hair growth - its all a big ball of wax. (is that even a phrase?). Its one in the same as far as you should be concerned. You looked better temporarily, then everything went to sh*t again. That's how hair loss treatment goes, especially when its working. I know this is not possible, but try not to evaluate yourself so much. The important milestones are month 6 and month 12 and month 18 and month 24. Everything in between will literally go up and down. Get better and worse. You will not have peace of mind. Your hair is going dormant in larger amounts right now, and will cycle back in in larger amounts as well. The thickness you saw could very well have been a new crop of hair coming out of dormancy. They will go dormant again soon and you may go nuts again. They'll come back, so stick with the treatment, and make sure you're using Nizoral.

youngguy_uk said:
if i had that one spate of regrowth, is it likely that il have another?
You should know by now that your hair is a constantly cycling ebb and flow of growth phase and dormancy phases. Of course you'll have another. Probably several. The only reason you're noticing it so much is because Propecia causes more hairs to go dormant at one time than normal. Its known as synchronization of the growth cycles. Very common.

HairLossTalk.com

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks for the informed reply.

i would usually easily accept it as cycling, but just thought that because im young and my loss happened fairly quickly, maybe propecia isnt strong enough and il just continue to lose...i guess you cant tell if its just dormancy or you actually have less hair on your head because youre losing it?

i just thought this could be the case because ive been in one of these "less hair" dips for about 1 1/2 months now. how long can this dormancy phase last then?

thanks.

still would be nice though to hear from anyone whos had similar shedding patterns or has thought they were losing to then have regrowth, or not.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
I shed for the entire first 4 months I was on Propecia. Nonstop. No end in sight. It all came back, hung around for about 5 months, and then went to hell again at month 8 and month 11. But it all came back. Once you've beaten me for the 4 months of shedding thing, I'll join you in your concern. Until then, in my opinion, you've had it pretty easy! :):)

HairLossTalk.com

David77

Established Member
Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
I shed for the entire first 4 months I was on Propecia. Nonstop. No end in sight. It all came back

I needed to read that today. The past couple of days have been awful for me. Did you lose it all over your head or was it just the front? I was thinning all round the front, and have now noticed thinning at the back in the last week or so (I've been on finasteride nearly a month now). I'm shitting myself that it's going to look ridiculous in a few weeks time, and I don't know how the shaven head look will suit me.

I want to do it, shave it all off, but it's just that sudden change of appearance I'm afraid of. But I guess I'm losing everything else in my life, I may as well give it a go. I've had problems with my appearance for a while now (still battling the acne on my chest and back). Sorry to be so self indulgent, but what happens this year is probably going to be everything for me.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
There's a reason its called the "Shedding Shits" because all you do is freak out when it happens. Ride it out.

I had diffuse thinning but never let it get very far, so the increased skin only appeared up front. As for the rest? It was obvious to me. My hair went totally limp. Even hairs up front that could support eachother pushing upwards were literally laying flat onto my forehead. The top was totally flat as well. That is how shedding on Propecia affected me. I couldn't style my hair.

But again .. it comes back. You have to expect this with Propecia. Don't give up until you've given it 6 to 10 months. Make sure you're using Nizoral.

HairLossTalk.com

hopewas

Reaction score
i know they're both finasteride but i'm curious HairLossTalk.com..do you take propecia or proscar?

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Neither now. I had a rare hypersensitive reaction to it. Using Revivogen and Topical spironolactone in hopes to duplicate it.

HairLossTalk.com

iwanthair

Reaction score
I am 19 and very visably balding, the type that effects the entire top part of your head. I am in school right now and returning home early may, this is when i plan to start doing somthing about it. I am going to use a regimin of propecia and rogaine, as well as nizoral. Is there anything else that I should use? Or does anyone else have any other suggestions such as revivogen? Feel free to list some ideas as well as personal experiences that have worked fairly well. Thanks...

G

HairlossTalk said:
I shed for the entire first 4 months I was on Propecia. Nonstop. No end in sight. It all came back, hung around for about 5 months, and then went to hell again at month 8 and month 11. But it all came back.
HairLossTalk.com

HairLossTalk.com, when you shed at month 8 and 11, were you still above baseline? Meaning, each time you shed, your hair came back nicer but when you got to the worst part of the shed, did your hair look as bad day one? Or was each shed a little bit weaker than the preceding one?

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Each cycling in returned me to baseline. You cant really tell by just looking at your hair, but I went from thinking "Ugh, my hair looks like hell today" to thinking "Damn, it looks so thick!"

I never got past baseline. I maintained, but the sheds stopped after month 11. It was smooth sailing after year 1 through year 3... stick it out guys.

HairLossTalk.com

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks, that clears up a lot. just hope im not one of those guys who sheds and sheds with no end..until bald..!! will wait it out.

david77 - i thinned around the front first then it moved to the back as well. my shedding in the 1st month regrew pretty well at about 2 1/2 months..maybe your shedding is also a sign of good things to come. as for acne, have you tried seeing your gp? if its mild to moderate, try and get minocin MR prescribed - anti-biotics for a few months which should clear everything. if its quite bad, get on roactuane - will cause a bit of drying in 1st 1-2 weeks but works like a miracle in clearing it up, your skin will be totally spot free in about 6 weeks most likely, even with the nastiest spots.

David77

Established Member
Reaction score
youngguy_uk said:
david77 - i thinned around the front first then it moved to the back as well. my shedding in the 1st month regrew pretty well at about 2 1/2 months..maybe your shedding is also a sign of good things to come. as for acne, have you tried seeing your gp? if its mild to moderate, try and get minocin MR prescribed - anti-biotics for a few months which should clear everything. if its quite bad, get on roactuane - will cause a bit of drying in 1st 1-2 weeks but works like a miracle in clearing it up, your skin will be totally spot free in about 6 weeks most likely, even with the nastiest spots.

I'm on minocin now. Just started a couple of weeks ago after doxytetracycline did f*** all.

My worry with roaccutane is that one side effect is hair loss, which is so bloody typical it's almost funny.

I'm encouraged to hear that your hair regrew after a while. Thanks.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
no sh*t, roacutane can cause hairloss!?! where did you hear that? do u know how, like if it interferes with hormones or anything? wow thanks for telling me, but would be good to see some info. not sure what il do then if minocin doesnt work.

yeah my regrowth was a surprise to me and lifted my spirits totally. since then though ive been getting a bit down with shedding..if i get one more regrowth soon il hopefully have the encouragement to ride out future sheds without any down feelings.

jblig

Established Member
Reaction score
I took accutane, and yes it can cause TEMPORORARY hairloss, this side effect is uncommon, but after stopping accutane your hair will grow back.....

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
hm if it can interfere with the hair might be best to stay away, dont know what its actually doing. any other alternatives? only, of course, assuming minocin doesnt work which it should.

jblig

Established Member
Reaction score
I took antibiotics and all this other crap for years and nothing worked , that was until I took accutane, it worked wonders for me , totally cleared up my skin, but however as my life goes I am breaking out again like I was in f*****g high school, I believe it to be the propecia!!!Yeah now to save my hair I have to have sh*t for skin again, lifes a b**ch, I cant win, somebody does not want me to be happy with my looks......for once....

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
stick in there mate. why dont u get on something like minocin? shouldnt interfere with hair at all. propecia yeah it might cause some oily skin and spots but your system should adust to the changing hormone levels..i had a bit more oily skin but just for a while, it passed. where is your acne? if its on your face use something quite strong like clearasil everyday. if its your body use neutrogena bodyclear bodywash. stick on it and get some minocin down you, should be ok in the end.

jason566

Established Member
Reaction score
hey HairLossTalk.com
what kind of hypersentive reaction u have? somethin sexual?