What Affect Does Alcohol Have On Hair Loss

scaredformylife

My Regimen
Reaction score
I stopped drinking alcohol about 3 months ago and in that time I’m starting to see my hair thinning. If I start drinking again is it going to accelerate the thinning?

Unacknowledged

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I stopped drinking alcohol about 3 months ago and in that time I’m starting to see my hair thinning. If I start drinking again is it going to accelerate the thinning?

Excessive alcohol consumption and chronic alcohol abuse are associated with decreased testosterone levels. ... Alcohol can increase a stress hormone, called cortisol, which is known to decrease testosterone synthesis. Alcohol may increase the conversion of testosterone to estrogen in the body

scaredformylife

My Regimen
Reaction score
There is no evidence liking alcohol to hair loss. You will find people on here who are convinced that alcohol is good for hair because they saw a few homeless alcoholics with hair all over the place. Well, they can't afford hair cuts so their hair is usually long enough to hide any balding. I know someone whose hair started thinning badly when he became an alcoholic. He'd always had good hair all through his 30s. Suddenly almost all of his hair was gone after a couple years of alcoholism. If you quit drinking I don't know why you'd want to start again, but I think if it's moderate drinking then it's probably of little consequence as far as your hair loss is concerned.

i didn’t really quit drinking. I’m 19 years old and I stopped in the winter but this summer I’m sure I will be drinking a lot.

scaredformylife

My Regimen
Reaction score
Excessive alcohol consumption and chronic alcohol abuse are associated with decreased testosterone levels. ... Alcohol can increase a stress hormone, called cortisol, which is known to decrease testosterone synthesis. Alcohol may increase the conversion of testosterone to estrogen in the body
I don’t know what to do with this information