Whammy's story

Whammy

Reaction score
First off, i'm 23 years old, with residual shedding in the early stages, so it's not noticeable yet. The only slightly noticeable part to the naked eye is my left temple has thinned some, but it's easy to cover up if I want, but you don't really need to. I can tell how far my hairline has moved back due to a few stray hairs on the original hairline. It's moved back on the left approximately 1.5-2cm on the left temple, and 1-1.5cm on the right.

I've always been very afraid of losing my hair. I had long thick hair in my teen's, and after a friend jokingly said I was going bald after looking at the back of my head I actually had nightmares of going bald. I knew based on my family history there was a good chance I could bald, but I guess I thought I'd be lucky like my Dad and oldest brother.

About 4 months ago, I took a look in the mirror after a haircut and came to a startling revelation. When I parted my hair the hairline on the side was going furthur back than it should. I also noticed stray hairs on the front. I told my friends and they laughed and thought I was crazy. But really more than the look I could tell by the feel, the hairline felt further back and weaker.

I soon looked into propecia and rogaine by visiting their websites. Propecia only said it was for the crown area not the frontline, so I didn't think it was for me. Rogaine wasn't specific about it, and I wasn't overly encouraged by their test results. I still wanted to order Rogaine, but I discovered they don't deliver in Canada so I put it off. A couple months later I was getting scared, the hairs I was losing were increasing. I was never able to see how much I was losing in the shower since I have my back to the drain and I don't put my contacts in first thing. However I'd test myself by running my hair through my hands continuously over the sink for a few mins. What first was a few hairs, had now turned into about 20 hairs, and close to 10 hairs on my pillow in the morning.

I was feeling desperate, my middle brother 2 years older than me is developing a pretty apparent widows peak. My 2 step brothers are both going bald, I'm thinking i'm surrounded by baldness. So I decided to google search a place in Canada that sold rogaine, and I happened upon regrowth.com, and their forums, then soon after this one. The advice is great. I decided it'd be best since my hair loss isn't noticeable yet, unless you looked real hard, that I'd start with finasteride and hold off on the minoxidil.

So today I went to a walk in clinic, and told the Dr. of my hair loss. He wanted to prescribe me on minoxidil, but I explained I'd read a lot about hairloss and had my regiminine in mine already. He had no problems prescribing my Proscar which I was happy about. I'm splitting the tabs 4 ways, and getting blood work done. Tonight I took my first dose.

I am cautiously optomistic at this point that finasteride will keep my hair in tact. If I had actual regrowth I'd be amazed, although i'm not too worried about that. I'll try to keep updates coming periodically. Having gone through this experience I feel for you guys fighting for your hair. I don't think people can understand how traumatic it is unless it happens to you. I am constantly checking out my hairline, other peoples hairlines, and feeling my hairline at night. I wish the government got involved with funding as I feel that hair loss is more than simply a cosmetic problem, it can be a life altering experience, and quite traumatic. Hopefully since hair loss is over a billion dollar business the companies researching will come up with the next big treatment soon, and I can keep my hair until that day happens. Good luck to you all!

Whammy

Reaction score
Alright, i'm about 2 months in, and some stuff has happened so I thought I'd make my first update.

First off, my hair situation has definately worsened. I don't know if I experienced a shed from Proscar because it seemed my hair loss was progressing even before I started on the meds. On 2 occasions I shook over 100 hairs into the sink. It was disgusting. I don't think my hair line has receded in the 2 months, but my overall hair quality sucks now. Just over a month ago I was still able to style my hair no problems, but in the month and one week since then it's now become a serious problem. I can't seem to gel my hair without it showing scalp, and I can't style my hair by combing it back. One weird thing about losing hair is it seems my hair doesn't want to pull back. If I try and style my hair back it just sticks up. Thankfully my hair still looks good dry. I'm just hoping I'm one of the persons who's hair looks worse before it gets better on finasteride.

Now to try and help my situation I added Nizoral last week, and my Tricomin arrived in the mail today. We'll see how it goes.

too bald too furious

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hang in there bro..i am 23 as well. With Propecia and minoxidil, the biggest thing u need to keep is patience. The optimal results of both of these will be delivered around the 2 year mark. Remember..even after 2 years you may not have any regrowth..but propecia and minoxidil might keep the number of hair count the same as what u have today.
So relax..take your regimen religiously...and have fun. You can be more confident now...that you will not be going bald in your family :hairy:

Whammy

Reaction score
I'm approaching month 3 of treatment, and month 7 of hairloss discovery. My hair continues to shed at about the same rate. One area I wasn't really paying much attention to was my back. I was heartbroken to discover the early formation of my future bald spot. My hair was pretty average length and it was bothering me that people might be noticing it. I couldn't tell really if there was an actual bald area, or if it was all thinned hair. I checked one morning after a shower, and the wetness really revealed the scalp from the thinned hair there.

Yesterday I decided to buzz my hair, so I could assess the damage to the back, and see if there were little hairs there that would blend in better. I was thankful that the bald spot area in question is just thinned hair, and there is no area of actual baldness. The buzzing did what buzzing does, and made it less noticeable. I haven't done the ultimate test of checking it when it's wet yet. I have a decent shaped head for the shaved head look. Right now my plan is to grow my hair about the same length as Matt Damons. He's a lil shorter in the back, and average length in the front I think. Hopefully i'm able to do that, I feel in 3 months I've lost about a quarter of my hair, and thinned considerably. The hairline is about the same as I mention in previous posts..not sure if it's goin back at all yet. If i'm like my brother I should have a strong widows peak in 2 yrs.

Whammy

Reaction score
Ok, been a while since I posted. It's now been almost a year since I first realised hair loss.

I kept my hair buzzed for some time, and it worked well for me. I stand by my belief that you should buzz your hair or at least keep it real short when you start going through hair loss.

Recently I started to grow out my hair, I also think you should enjoy your hair while you still have it heh. Really, it looks good. I went to renew my prescription at a local clinic for proscar, and the Dr. who was bald said it doesn't look like you're losing much hair. I had the same reaction from the pharmacist, you really cannot tell i'm losing hair. I actually decided to make this post after I came out of the shower and combed my hair back, and i'll be damned I don't think even when it was wet you'd say I have hair loss really. I only have one picture I took at the beginning of my treatment around April I guess it was, and I'd say my hair looked about as good as it did then. I might even try gelling my hair just to see what it's like.

Now, that's the optomistic side, but with everything there's a but. About 5 days or so I hadn't washed my hair the day before, so it wasn't in optimal shape. I try not to think about my hair too much, and I don't count my hairs in the sink hardly at all anymore. I guess since my hair has stabalized there's less to worry about. However, that one day, I shook about 100 hairs in the sink in like a minute. It was disgusting, I felt pretty defeated. My hair loss reminds me of a guy I saw fight in the UFC last night. He was sorta a pretty boy, nice hair, whatever. But as the fight went on, his hair got sweaty and messed up, you could tell he was losing his hair, the parts in your hair become more visible, hairs thinner etc.

That said, I think i'm in pretty good shape. My biggest fear has always been my brothers hair. Maybe I'll end up with the hair he has now, but I don't think i'll get there as quick at least.

Whammy

Reaction score
Just a quick update, I have lost no significant amount of hair since my last post, so everything is going along smoothly.

juleswinnfield

Reaction score
Do you have any pictures from last year through now?

I think my situation is somewhat similar. Had long hair, but now hair quality is worse with stray hairs on left side. Hairs in first cm or so of hairline much shorter.

Have a post with pics in the general discussion forum ("Time to see a derm?")

Glad to hear everything going well, so good luck to you.