Well... here we go...

Bob Booley

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's the situation- I finally did it.

I went out and got my 3-month prescription for Propecia.

Wow- what a killer- $160.00 here in Canada for 90 days. Absolutely crazy. My benefits at work should cover most of it and if not, then I work one full shift of overtime at work and it's paid for, so the money isn't worrying me.

What IS worrying me is that I cut my hair today. Phew- the crown is fine- still no thinning at all. It's my damn hairline- my little point in the middle of my forehead is becoming larger and thinner. I now have to shave it up a bit so it looks like I have a straight hairline again- only this time it's almost an inch higher!! And still thin- you can see through the centre of my hairline now. My temples aren't too bad yet- not as far back as my ears, if you know what I mean- still another inch or more before it gets that far back. However, the left side looks like it's going in that direction, and the right side is stable and not as far back. Overall my hairline as a whole has receded 3/4" over a two-year time period and yes, slowly but surely it is receding.

I comb my hair pretty well the same way but it's becoming evident that I'm doing certain things to it to cover my temples!! Combing it forward, then up- it's pretty obvious, lol.

Anyhow that's it- no more procrastinating. I got it.

Now- my question to y'all-

With the situation I am in, being minor/mild hairloss, what can I expect from using Propecia for the next 90 days? Being that I'm not losing hair agressively, should I expect any major sheds or anything like that? Will anything begin to change in my hormones within a week? Could hairloss halt by next week? Should I start it right now or wait a bit longer? Am I entering a point of no return now, meaning that I have to stay on this stuff for good? Can I expect a stronger hairline/filled in temples with Propecia alone or am I likely to see nothing with this sort of hairloss?

Thanks for any help/comments from you guys, I just hope to hear some last comments before I swallow my first tablet tonight!!!

BOB

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Speaking from my experience,

>Being that I'm not losing hair agressively, should I expect any major sheds or anything like that?

No. Expect no changes to your hair or the progression of male pattern baldness in the first three months. It takes quite some time for lower blood DHT levels to equate to lower scalp DHT levels.

>Will anything begin to change in my hormones within a week?

Yes. Acne and increased libido (yes, increased) are fairly common in the first weeks.

>Could hairloss halt by next week?

Absolutly not.

>Should I start it right now or wait a bit longer?

Wait for what? To lose more hair?

>Am I entering a point of no return now, meaning that I have to stay on this stuff for good?

Not at all! finasteride can be ditched like a bad habit any time, and your hairloss will simply start up from where it left off. Its the minoxidil that is a b**ch to leave.

>Can I expect a stronger hairline/filled in temples with Propecia alone or am I likely to see nothing with this sort of hairloss?

Its possible, but do not expect anything but maintenence. If you really want regrowth, use the minoxidil too. Or wait a year and a half, see how its going, and get on the minoxidil then.