Weightlifting increase hairloss...?

Tread

Reaction score
Here is the question I've wanted to know for a couple of years now:
Does weigtlifting speed up hairloss in those with traditional male-pattern hair loss?
A friend told me that lifting weights, especially in the lower body, increases testosterone production (Red Flag!), and so I'm led to wonder if this is speeding along hairloss.
I've forgone weight lifting (one of my great interests) because of this fear. I don't want to take any pills or sprays. And even if they work on the frontal hairline, wouldn't they be supressing the very chemical production I'm trying to acheive in my weight lifting.

Bottom line: I just want to lift without worrying that it's speeding the pace of my receding hairline.
Any insights you have would be appreciated.

Jeff

Redbone

Reaction score
Its predetermined genetics. Diet nor exercise nor drugs have as much bearing as family history. Look at all the body builders with full heads of hair like Arnold and Ferrigno. If what you are saying is true 90% of body builders would be bald I find that to be the opposit. Lifting free's up more bound testosterone but it does not increase it. Only hormones and steroids can do that effectively.

Gumbo boy

Reaction score
Weight lifting does increase T levels which could have an effect IF you are predisposed to Androgenetic Alopecia. Arnold and Lou clearly are not predisposed to Androgenetic Alopecia.

G

There is no research that I know of that substantiates that weightlifting or any exercise for that matter can raise test. so much so that it results in hair loss.

Anabolic steroids on the other hand, have taken down lots of heads in CA I can tell you.

G

As an adjunct, if you look at bodybuilders photos form the days of old before steroid use, these guys had tons of hair. Given the amount of lifting they were doing, they should have all been cue balls.

Antonio

Reaction score
I agree with Gumbo: body-building increases T levels... but there are a lot of other things, that cause the same effects too. :cry:

G

Antonio said:
I agree with Gumbo: body-building increases T levels... but there are a lot of other things, that cause the same effects too. :cry:

And the critical issue here is, does that increase in T levels actually result in hair loss. I have never seen any study that suggests that it does.

So, IMHO, work out till you drop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hairy:

Antonio

Reaction score
My data is in Italian. It was written by a past president of the European Hair Research Society... I'll link it, if you ask for.

I don't know if I succeed in traslating this document in English... cos I don't speak your language very well! :hairy:

I will try! :wink:

Shave my poodle

Established Member
Reaction score
I remember reading that Testosterone increases but its only by a very small amount.
Even if it did lead to a tiny amount more DHT in your system, ask yourself, would you rather have a great body with 0.5% more hairloss or stay unhealthy and out of shape and keep 0.5% more hair??
I'd take working out any day.