WebMD article about hair cloning

StoptheMadness

Established Member
Reaction score
There is a prof of dermatololy, George Cotsarelis, that is quoted in this article that reminded me of something......

the name of Geroge Costanza. Remeber the episode when Geoge gets a rug?....... After George orders a supposed cure for baldness from China, Jerry comments that a world without baldness is like nation of Supermen.

You know that is almost prescient. That is hard to comprehend, something metaphysical. Hair cloning would wipe out bald guys. Hair cloning no doubt will work, but I bet the process to do this will be bottleneck. Everyone and their mother will be in line.

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
1) There are many (believe it or not) who don't care about their hairloss and sees it as a natural part of aging (which it is).

2) Remember, it will be costly - especially the first years. So I guess only about 5% of the World's population will afford it. Remember the baldies in Africa, China, South America, India etc. As a matter of facts, I think only USA, Europe and Australia will have sufficient cash. The same reason you don't see many people from the first line of countries/continents I mentioned in here.

Hairloss is a luxury problem (even though it has partially trashed my life, so I don't regard as a luxury :cry: ) and it's only guys like us - born with a silver spoon up our ases that care. Doubt the father of 7 in New Delhi cares if his hair is falling off with the same pace as the water thundering down the Niagara Falls. His problems are REAL problems, like food etc.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Amen brother. There will still be plenty of baldies... but i, like you i suspect, won't be one of them :D

G

Hairloss will increase its stigma, as eventually you will never see a rich healthy good looking person with hairloss.

We will lose all the film stars and celebraties who are role models for balding folk, all the Bruce Willis types, they will all have cloned hair, it will just be the poor who go bald.

It will be more of a stigma to be bald, it will also signal your staus (financial) Prepare yourselves for the great hair divide!

oni

Reaction score
The poor peolpe could start a cult of baldies where the higher up the norwood scale you are the more power you have in the cult but you are not aloud to cheat and take steriods to help the hair fall out and no doping the competition with finasteride. The use of chemo is not aloud too. The cult could be fun you could have shedding races and every morning a shed count you could get a prize for the best combover and you just have to look at http://www.combover.com/ for some ideas. :hairy:

misterium

Reaction score
Woody Harrelson will probably not bother..

He's got his fight against the war on marijuana to deal with.. NORML and what not.

Keep fighting the good fight Woody

Petchsky

Reaction score
tynanW said:
Hairloss will increase its stigma, as eventually you will never see a rich healthy good looking person with hairloss.

We will lose all the film stars and celebraties who are role models for balding folk, all the Bruce Willis types, they will all have cloned hair, it will just be the poor who go bald.

It will be more of a stigma to be bald, it will also signal your staus (financial) Prepare yourselves for the great hair divide!

True! But then there will be the period where it becomes cool to stand out and be different by having a bald head... defying accepted social norms in the face of uniformity.

Does anyone know how the procedure will work? will it be like a normal transplant only with an unlimited supply of follicles?

Hinde

Reaction score
i don't know why we don't talk more about hair cloning...i mean, this is the real deal and probably the only cure any of us will be around for.

another question: do people get hair transplants for bald spots on the crown?

Dimebolt3000

Reaction score
i believe people do attempt to fill in the crown, but i think its a harder and more complex to attain full coverage. Ive seen hair transplants and from the front they appear full, but the back, u can see scalp!

Cloning, that would rule tho!

wastingpenguins

Established Member
Reaction score
Petchsky said:
Does anyone know how the procedure will work? will it be like a normal transplant only with an unlimited supply of follicles?

Yes. The idea is that, for a regular hair transplant, you only have so much donor hair to go around. With hair cloning, you would have an unlimited supply of your OWN hair to transplant.

You know what though, when I think about it, I'd let a transplant surgeon take a LOT of the hair in the back/sides if it could fill in the top. I keep my hair very short anyway, with the sides and back buzzed very close. With how short my sides and back are, I could probably lose half the density there and no one would notice.

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
Way to revive a 3+ year old thread. :roll:

Re75

Reaction score
Re:

Buffboy said:
1) There are many (believe it or not) who don't care about their hairloss and sees it as a natural part of aging (which it is).

lol that's a fine line. I believe the ones that don't care probably have a head shape or whatever where the loss of hair doesn't look as dramatic. for others though losing hair especially in the front sometimes seriously alters their physical appearance and makes them look a lot older. So I would argue it's not so much as being peaceful with your genetic destiny but how it looks externally.

it is a natural part of aging for some, but when you're in your 20s and your hair is more diffused than someone twice your age I'd hardly call that natural.

ITNEVERRAINS

Established Member
Reaction score
crown is easier from artistic standpoint, just may take larger session, more $$ to make it fill in.