Want To Stop Taking 5 Mg Finasteride - Help!

lolabarks

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am a 46 year old woman. My dermatologist put me on 5 mg daily dose of Finasteride. I knew it could cause birth defects, but I haven't been sexually active anyway. I found out this could have been causing my depresssion, weight gain, and other issues. Another dermatologist I went to said to get off of it and do PRP treatments or something else. I realize after reading more about Finasteride that a 5 mg dose was ridiculously high anyway!!! What should I do? Cut them into fourths and taper off slowly? Go cold turkey? Also I want to have my hormone levels tested during menstruation to see if I can still have my eggs frozen. Did I kill this possibility with this stupid drug? I am so angry I didn't look into the drug more when I started taking it. I know it's not my fault because I was prescribed it by a very reputable dermatologist, but still, we should be our own advocates. Please advise on what I should do.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am a 46 year old woman. My dermatologist put me on 5 mg daily dose of Finasteride. I knew it could cause birth defects, but I haven't been sexually active anyway. I found out this could have been causing my depresssion, weight gain, and other issues. Another dermatologist I went to said to get off of it and do PRP treatments or something else. I realize after reading more about Finasteride that a 5 mg dose was ridiculously high anyway!!! What should I do? Cut them into fourths and taper off slowly? Go cold turkey? Also I want to have my hormone levels tested during menstruation to see if I can still have my eggs frozen. Did I kill this possibility with this stupid drug? I am so angry I didn't look into the drug more when I started taking it. I know it's not my fault because I was prescribed it by a very reputable dermatologist, but still, we should be our own advocates. Please advise on what I should do.

I have no experience with finasteride sorry.

What did your Dr advice?

lolabarks

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well one Doctor (another dermatologist) said going off of it cold turkey was fine. I'm on spironolactone now...but my hair seems to be falling out again. Maybe I'll cut the Finasteride into 1 mg pieces and take them like that.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well one Doctor (another dermatologist) said going off of it cold turkey was fine. I'm on spironolactone now...but my hair seems to be falling out again. Maybe I'll cut the Finasteride into 1 mg pieces and take them like that.

I don't know that much about oral meds I took oral spironolactone for a few weeks and had to off it and now i am on topical spironolactone.. Im so sorry i cant help you.
The spironolactone is going to give you same issue with your eggs.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

You should definitely taper off that dosage. You're a woman, but still, that is extremely high.

That's really strange as well. Think you should find another doctor, get a second opinion. Try
spironolactone.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You should definitely taper off that dosage. You're a woman, but still, that is extremely high.

That's really strange as well. Think you should find another doctor, get a second opinion. Try
spironolactone.

thats the dose they should give women otherwise it does not work as well.