Very Interesting Article on Propecia's Sexual Effects

drinkrum

Reaction score
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2001 Sep;15(5):418-21

Evaluation of sexual function in subjects taking finasteride for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia.

Tosti A, Piraccini BM, Soli M. Department of Dermatology, University of Bologna, Italy. tosti@almadns.unibo.it

BACKGROUND: Our practical experience indicates that sexual side-effects in subjects taking finasteride 1 mg (Propecia) for androgenetic alopecia are much less common than reported in the literature. OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the sexual function in subjects taking finasteride (1 mg) compared with age-matched controls using the International Index of Erectile Function (IIEF). METHODS: The IIEF, a brief, reliable questionnaire, was self-administered to 236 patients taking Propecia and 236 age-matched males attending the Department of Dermatology of the University of Bologna. RESULTS: Statistical analysis showed no differences between scores obtained with the IIEF in subjects taking finasteride and controls. CONCLUSIONS: The sexual and erectile function of subjects taking finasteride does not significantly differ from that of age-matched controls. This is consistent with the experience of many dermatologists who do not see sexual or erectile dysfunction in patients taking Propecia.

--------------

I wonder about the validity of this article. But I do know that many dermatologists who prescribe Propecia don't really get many complaints on its sexual side effects. Just some food for thought.

D.

G

For me I have experienced no "sexual disfunction" if I properly understand the meaning of that term. I have experienced reduced libido/reduced sexual desire in general, outside of intimate contact situations.

For me that's almost as bad. Exercise seems to help.

drinkrum

Reaction score
I believe "sexual dysfunction" includes libido problems, etc. On the other hand, "erectile dysfunction" is a subset of sexual dysfunction and refers to physical qualities -- like not being able to achieve a boner, etc. But I may be wrong -- don't take my word as golden.

D.

G

Makes sense to me. I was thinking more like erectile dysfunction = can't get erection for sex and maybe the sexual dysfunction = intimate situation doesn't make you horny and reduced libido =erectile & sexual function OK but not generally horny unless confronted with intimate situation (loss of initiative).

I am probably confusing the issue but that was what I was trying to get across.

zak84

Established Member
Reaction score
the only thing i can safely say that is true about the side effects (ie not in my head) is that when i ejaculate, it's not as "p**rn star" like compared to what i used to be, and it doesn't really bother me, explosive orgasm scenes aren't exactly my top priority(and it could be something other than propecia)

i've had(or thought rather) two other side effects but like i said they could be all in my head and they probably are. i feel like im a little less horny but i guess that comes with getting older and i get chest pains that weren't normal before taking propecia but like i said, reading posts where people talk about what propecia did to them is the main culprit, i got it in my head what could happen and i probably forced myself to believe it was happening to me.