Update: Avoiding And Treating Scalp Redness

George Hen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I posted a week ago asking for advice on avoiding and treating scalp redness.

I wear a French lace system with a poly perimeter around the back and sides.

I’ve been wearing three years now - Always the same style of system. i has some redness in the very beginning but managed to sort it. Recently the redness has been pretty severe though.

The biggest reason was changing from using tape and a bit of glue at the front and back of the system, to only using tape. I had enough of a hold to go two weeks without having to rebond with tape only but the system was definitely slightly looser. This slightly looser hold was causing a surprising amount of irritation and itchiness. I’ll now return to applying some glue at the front and back.

the second reason was the length of my bond. No matter if I use glue or tape only my hold is solid for the first 7-10 days. From 10-14 days it gets dramatically and exponentially worse. From now on I’m going to try to change at around the 10 day mark. The difference in clean up after a 10 day hold and a 14 day hold was honestly unbelievable too.

Another reason is my cleaning routine during rebonding. I always use a bit of C22 on my scalp (I know some here disagree with that). Recently I tried applying C22, shaving and then washing. I’ve learned to have the c22 on my scalp for as little time as possible now - makes a huge difference in reducing irritation. So now I apply it, quickly and gently clean my scalp after the residue starts easily coming away, immediately shampoo my scalp, dry, shave and then shampoo again if need be. I also use alcohol for a final clean of my scalp if need be but, again, sparingly.

Thought I should share because the difference in irritation and redness after addressing these things has been like night and day.

if anyone has anything to add or any thoughts please share