Ultra thin skin vs thin skin hairline

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
I have my Lavivid Mirage ( 0.04 - 0.05 mm ) and it's a nice system but I'm not satisfied with the hairline. Even if I comb the hair forward or to the side a little bit, I can see plastic where, on natural hair, we would see scalp. So I can see the plastic even when I don't slick it back or up. I know that most people don't see it but I still dislike it. That's partly because I have a fairly short haircut. I'm thinking of leaving lace for the moment due to potential difficulties with hair color and the fact that I like a full bond and instead I will go for a thinner skin. I don't care if it's not durable or doesn't last long or anything; I just want it to look beautiful. If I get something like an Eros model, which is 0.02 - 0.03mm ultra thin skin, will I have a nicer hairline? Will I be able to do a slick back or quiff? I see that Curtis on Youtube believes that ultra thin skin is the gold standard of hairlines, better than lace.

I want a style like one of these below, and I don't want to be worrying every moment about if each hair at the front is still in perfect position to cover up the plastic.

ryan-reynolds-gq-2015-06.jpg

short-hairstyles-men-2020-9-of-9.jpg

Very-short-hairstyle-for-men2.jpg.webp

Cruise21

My Regimen
Reaction score
What do you mean you can "see the plastic"?

Do you mean the front edge of the skin base, or the base material itself through the hair? A thinner skin should make a less visible edge (assuming a proper attachment)... for anything else it probably won't change much. In any case, Curtis is right that a thin skin poly 0.03 is the best base type there is for realism (but of course it has some drawbacks compared to lace also).

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
What do you mean you can "see the plastic"?

Do you mean the front edge of the skin base, or the base material itself through the hair? A thinner skin should make a less visible edge (assuming a proper attachment)... for anything else it probably won't change much. In any case, Curtis is right that a thin skin poly 0.03 is the best base type there is for realism (but of course it has some drawbacks compared to lace also).
I can see the base material through the hair from the front. Of course, if styled just right, it won't be visible but I am checking in the mirror that I carry around with me every 10 minutes when I go out, to see if my hair has moved a little and exposed the plastic.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sounds like you might be too paranoid and wearing a system is giving you anxiety. I think a lot of people go through similar emotions but you have to learn to deal with the mental side of wearing else you will end up in a bad state.

Anyway, yes the hairline can get better, almost perfect in fact. But it needs a lot more maintenance. I used to aim for the perfect hairline every day, but this just isn't a achievable target because you have to spend a lot of time and effort and then you also ruin the system a lot quicker so it costs a lot more over the year.

I have posted previously about perfecting the hairline on my 0.03 UTS systems. Look through my posts/photos and hopefully that will help.

mroizo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Before deciding on a hair base, I had some worries about visible plastic or lace on the hairline. With the combination of French Lace and glue on the first inch from the front of the base, I have not had any issues with a visible gap or lace material showing. The lace is 80% transparent and just disappears when pressed down into the glue. My haircut has a fully exposed hairline with parting and the way it looks was a big reason for me to stay with lace-base hair pieces so far. Sometimes it happens after showering that the base lifts a bit where I have the parting. I dry it with hairdryer on cool setting and can then reattach the lifted part back to my skin. It's important for the skin at that part to be completely dry before reattaching.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Even .03mm is visible on me, simple because it's too white. Lace definitely looks better, on me at least.

Also very thin Poly is weak, tearing easily.