Uk Propecia Shortage Help! (7 Words)

RB15

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Successfully been taking Propecia for 6 years.

as stated in the title - all Propecia is currently out of stock in the UK, is this the same in other countries?

I’m panicking because i have been sent a generic version manufactured by a company called Mylan, and the reason i’m panicking is because i tried a generic years ago only to find that i had a massive shed and quickly started losing ground, i quickly switched back to the brand name and recovered.

Does anyone know the reason for the shortage? Covid-19 i assume?

I’ve got 4 days of brand name Propecia left and i’m desperate to get my hands on some more, does anyone know any way i could get some? Possibly ordering from the US?

I know it’s probably a bit of a stretch but i thought i would ask anyway.

Cheers!

Sailing123

Reaction score
I hear you. I too only take the name brand.

When generic 1mg finasteride became available in US I was automatically switched by pharmacy. About three (3) months later I noticed significant shedding . . . cause or coincidence I do not know.

Switched back to name brand and have continued to take that these last 7 years (10 total years on propecia).

On your problem in UK; I would first contact Merck Pharmaceuticals. See what they say and what, if any, satisfaction they can give you as a long term dedicated consumer of their product.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
Name brand is so much more expensive, is it really worth it?

I live in the US and I couldn't get a prescription for 5mg, which would be about $12 USD for a 4 month supply...so now I'm paying for generic 1mg which comes out to about $18 a month.

Brand name, 1mg, comes out to about $86 a month for a 30 day supply here.

RB15

Reaction score
I hear you. I too only take the name brand.

When generic 1mg finasteride became available in US I was automatically switched by pharmacy. About three (3) months later I noticed significant shedding . . . cause or coincidence I do not know.

Switched back to name brand and have continued to take that these last 7 years (10 total years on propecia).

On your problem in UK; I would first contact Merck Pharmaceuticals. See what they say and what, if any, satisfaction they can give you as a long term dedicated consumer of their product.

Yes i was thinking about contacting Merck, it’s strange how there is not more information on the shortage.

There might be some hope though, before bed last night i checked Lloyds Pharmacy again and it appeared that they had them back in stock, so i ordered 2 months worth, i just hope i dont get an e-mail saying they only have generic, or even worse i just recieve 2 months worth of generic, although i did pay the full price for brand name.

we’ll see what happens

RB15

Reaction score
Name brand is so much more expensive, is it really worth it?

I live in the US and I couldn't get a prescription for 5mg, which would be about $12 USD for a 4 month supply...so now I'm paying for generic 1mg which comes out to about $18 a month.

Brand name, 1mg, comes out to about $86 a month for a 30 day supply here.

I’m just going by personal of experience of generic, it was a definite and obvious change in hair density and shedding when i tried them, it could be the inactive ingredients causing this and the body adjusting, i honestly wish i could take generic and have the same results and save money, but the results are too stark.

Cheers