Turned A Corner....hair loss Will Not Consume Me Anymore.

Jessica Cecil

My Regimen
Reaction score
My hairloss started in October 2016, probably a culmination of things that set it off; had just stopped breastfeeding for 2 years, had surgery to fix a herniated belly button, low ferritin, and had tried lexapro from anxiety and discontinued because I didn't like the side effects, and not to mention I'm pretty active and probably wasn't eating enough protein. A perfect storm! When the shedding began I immediately started a regimen of vitamins, more protein. Finally made it to my doctor at the beginning of Jan to get bloodwork. That's when i learned my ferritin was low (11) I started taking iron 3x a day and raised my ferritin to 86 in 2.5 months. I kept holding out hope the hairloss would resolve. I had periods of reduced shedding and I'd get excited that this crazy nightmare was ending. All the while I had regrowth, but my volume was reduced and my part was widening. This June, the hair loss really started to depress me as I realized maybe it would never end! I was spending countless hours reading the SAME online articles and postings over and over again. I was collecting my hair and counting it obsessively. Some days the shed seemed normal, other days....most days...not normal. Ahh, forgot to mention that in the spring I visited a dermatologist. He was worthless! Never mentioned chronic telogen effluvian, which I'm pretty sure is what I have, but did mention andogenic alopecia and said to try Rogaine. Once again, no answers. I had more blood work done- ferritin 70 b12 and vitamin d all great. I was so sick of this hair obsession ruining me. I'm a young mom with gorgeous, healthy kids, a loving husband, I'm in great shape and love being active, yet every day a gray cloud loomed and made me feel ugly and and hopeless!!! It's summer and instead of enjoying the beautiful weatfer and this precious time with my kids, I'm obsessing over hair!!!! So here is what I did. I ask myself....what is the worst possible scenario?! Answer, my hair will continuously get worse and not resolve and It will be androgenic alopecia or CTE that never ends. Well.....if that's the worst, I'm going to act on it now. I bought a human hair topper from an embarrassing expensive price from a wig shop. At first I hated it and thought what a waste, but after playing with it for awhile, washing it and letting it air dry, removing all the clips and figuring how to wear with bobby pins (they don't hurt or pull your bio hair) it looks AMAZING. In fact I even brought it back to the shop and had her tweek the color 2x. It's real human hair so it really blends so well that nobody has asked me about it. Worn it to the beach, a water park, everywhere! This wk I just bought another piece online after watching you tube videos on hair toppers. I bought the "Claire" of uniwigs. It's actually even better quality to the one I bought from the shop and it was less than $200! I cut out the clips and plucked the part and cut it to match my bio hair. I feel beautiful again and now I'm seriously obsessed with the fake! Last night I bought 2 more....I know...obsessed. It's so easy though! It's given me that sparkle back that had faded. hair loss was consuming my life, I was letting this have such control over my daily life, when I had no control over the hair loss. I continue to eat healthy, take my supplements....maybe my hair situation will resolve...maybe it won't??? In the meantime, I'm rocking my toppers and I feel and look good. Geez. So many girls I know have fake eyelashes, boobs, fake tans....I'm not going to sweat it anymore. Life is precious, I want to live it. I don't want to look back in 30 years and realize that I let hair loss rob precious years off my life. Remember ladies, we can't often control what happens in our lives, we can only control how react to a situation. Don't let hair loss define you, you're defined by how you pick yourself and make the best out of a situation. Go on YouTube and watch some of the topper videos. It's a game changer. Love to you all. I know this can really be a challenging road to navigate.

Btw...I reluctantly wrote the topper name and site where I purchased online. I say reluctantly bc I don't want anyone to think I'm an advertiser (Bc my writing is so eloquent! Lol) I'm not advertising! You can buy toppers from so many sites. Get a human hair one though. Not synthetic!

Hairmess

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm glad you are feeling good and rocking your topper!! I feel like your hair is going to get better. Your body had been through a lot. Low ferritin and child birth!!
Stress, lowish ferritin (22) and medication cause my hair to fall out! I'm using rogaine and the shed is terrible but I hope by focusing on my health and using the minoxidil things will start to get better! Good luck