Trying to have a babby on finasteride

PartTimeNinja

Established Member
Reaction score
use the search function - even read the FAQ - you have been on this forum long enough to know this........

But, yes, It should safe.

G

I am looking for people that have done it, I have read all that and so far it says yes and no.

Tom

Reaction score
????? There is not a SINGLE not a SINGLE peer-review sceintific article which concludes that a man on finasteride has an increased risk of borth defects. Not one. Nada...none.

Where do people get this nonsense???

ACT10Npack

Experienced Member
Reaction score
When Merck release Propecia in 1997 they put on the warrenty that it could give birth defect when the man is taking the drug. But now Merck has drop that warrenty fromt he bottle because no one babies got a defect from the male taking the drug. They were trying to stay on the safe sides of things. But if your wife or girlfriend get's prengrey do not let her touch the pills because they still have that warrenty that it could give birth defect even if the pill is not broken. Not 100% if that's on it or not.

nervx

Established Member
Reaction score
On the sheet i got with my proscar it says to stop taking the drug for X amount of time before trying to have a kid and my phamisist mentioned it as well. So maybe a higher dose could mess up a kid.

too bald too furious

Experienced Member
Reaction score
jkriley said:
IS it safe?

Just drop finasteride completely for 2 weeks before you try to impregnate your wife/gf.

Better to be on a safer side.

Although in theory there is a possibility that finasteride may be transferred thru semen, but it has never happened.

I read somewhere on this site that in an experiment, about 5000mg Finasteride were given to male monkeys and when the baby monkeys were born from the sperm of these monkeys, they were all fine and did not have any birth defects.

You may wish to discuss properly with your doctor.

beast

Established Member
Reaction score
balding men can't find women to try to have kids with.....so you might not get the answer u need. 8)

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
too bald is right, just stop for a couple o' weeks before you do the deed. Better to be on the safe side. Theres no way in the world that your hair is more important than the safety of your kid.

FYI, I stopped taking finasteride for almost a month after 3.5 years and noticed no shedding whatsoever. I started up again without noticing any changes. If you stop two weeks before doin' it, then you should be fine. Don't have to worry about all your hair falling out.

rapidfrontal

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess somebody has to be the ginnea pig. I started Propecia on Feb.2, 2005 and I found out my wife was pregnant on about March 20. It's a bit scary reading this topic. I'll be sure to let everybody know the outcome sometime in December.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
nothing to worry about man. unless your gf/wife touched crushed pills and then swallowed it. seriously, you can relax.

rapidfrontal

Established Member
Reaction score
Trent said:
nothing to worry about man. unless your gf/wife touched crushed pills and then swallowed it. seriously, you can relax.

Trent, you are in med school, are you not? And, no she never touched or swallowed the pills.